Viewer Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: fmod2175, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Tumor in my right nostril. It is a very rare, aggressive form of skin cancer, and not much is known about it. I had surgery in August of 2008 where my nostril was removed, and skin was taken from inside my cheek to form a flap. After four weeks, the doctor, who is also a plastic surgeon, will form my nostril back on my right side. I was told I caught it early and took a PET scan that revealed the only “hot spot” was on my nose. Hopefully, I will be OK. It's a very scary word, cancer, and emotions run high. I used to be a sun worshiper when I was younger, and I am now 64. I could understand if the cancer was topical, but it was inside my nose. Strange! All I can say is: Be diligent about your body. Your body will tell you something is wrong. The doctor and I thought it was a wart, but it wasn't.

I had squamous cell skin cancer near the corner of my eye. Mohs surgery was performed and I had freaked out about it before I went in. It really was not a big deal - I wish someone would have told me that while it is surgery, it is not something to really obsess over. Reading the Internet can just really scare you - if you can talk to someone that had it done it would really put you at ease. It took mine two tries, the second time was a little dicier than the first (since they were going a little deeper), but not as bad as I had imagined.

Comment from: Krebskind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I've had 31 years of skin cancer and no end in sight despite more than 31 years of sun blocks, clothing protection, hats, and indoor isolation. Dermatologists and reconstructive surgeons could build their vacation homes from my bills.

Comment from: rjaz, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 13

My dermatologist told me that my first melanoma probably arose from sun exposure during childhood when we ran around on the beach without sunscreen (1940s). By nightfall, we had blisters on our whitened skin shoulders and we were ignorant of the dangers of sun. My first melanoma was classified as a Clark level IV and cut out from my shoulder. My second melanoma was a Clark level I.

Comment from: grateful, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had a small brown spot on the middle of my forehead. I thought nothing of it. My daughter kept bugging me to get it checked out. I finally did, and it turned out to be melanoma. I had to have two surgeries on my head. Man, was it painful. Since then, my doctor has found one basal cell carcinoma on my wrist. He checked my body and wants to cut out four more suspicious spots. I am going for this surgery next week. I am 61 and had too much sun exposure in my younger days. I now use lots of sunscreen and cover up in the sun. I will probably have to have more surgeries as time goes on. Please stay out of the sun. If we were supposed to be a different color, we would have been born that way.

Comment from: LouLou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a scabby spot on my hand which has grown marginally. It was tender. Today I saw my doctor and he tells me it is a non-malignant cancer and must be excised next week.

Comment from: athlete, 55-64 Male Published: January 14

I have an open red spot on the right side of my forehead about an inch above the eye and to the side. I have had this for at least a year and it doesn't seem to heal. Will bleed sometimes and maybe looks flakey sometimes. If pushed on it, it is somewhat sore. It stays red nearly all of the time. It is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My best friend died four days ago of melanoma skin cancer. It started as a mole on his back that was checked and found to be stage 4. It along with 3 lymph nodes were removed but his follow up care was sporadic at best. Two years later what he thought was a cold then lung infection was the beginning of his final battle that lasted less than two months. He went very quickly at the end BUT his story should be a book on why follow up care is so very important.

I've had numerous basal cells. I've had Mohs surgery on my face and had to have plastic surgery 6 times after to correct the damage from surgery. I've had squamous cell on the back of my hand and had Mohs surgery they had to take the back of my hand off, but I've learned it's never going to stop. I'll have to keep on top of it. I've had probably 300 spots frozen off. Now I'm using Efudex-40. With me it is a daily thing.

Published: June 09

It started as a sore with a scab on it. It itched and I scratched, then little blisters appeared.

Must Read Articles Related to Skin Cancer

Common Health Tests
Common Health Tests Common health tests may be performed in your doctor's office or even in the pharmacy. Regular health checks and screening for certain diseases and conditions ha...learn more >>
Mole Removal
Mole Removal Moles may be removed using excision and stitches or excision and cauterization. Risks of mole removal include infection, nerve damage, and anesthetic allergy. L...learn more >>
Skin Biopsy
Skin Biopsy Your doctor may want to obtain a sample of skin in order to diagnose diseases of the skin, such as those caused by bacteria, fungi, or other chronic skin condit...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your skin cancer?

Skin Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your skin cancer?