Viewer Comments: Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Comment from: stager, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I noticed a little skin colored nodule on my calf and didn't think anything of it. Within 3 months, it grew to a quarter of an inch and looked like a weird wart. I went to my dermatologist to have it removed. She immediately recognized it as a squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). It was removed by excision. Lab confirmed it was free of any cancer cells. It was invasive, but had not grown deep. When I went for my 6 month check, there was a basal cell carcinoma on the shin of my other calf. She froze it, and it healed with no problem. Next 6 month check should be in March, but went in December 21st with a spot on my left forearm that didn't look right to me. Biopsy confirmed it is squamous cell carcinoma. Two days after biopsy on arm was done, I noticed another place that came up on the same arm just a few inches from the SCC. I feel certain it is SCC. I will have confirmed SCC removed in January. I will do biopsy of newest spot on the same forearm at the same time. I just hope that finding these cancers early and having them removed will be all that is necessary.

Comment from: Riley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm not actually a skin cancer patient, but I'm writing this about my girlfriend, because her case is so strange that I thought it would be interesting to tell people about it. She has basal cell carcinoma on her eyebrow and eyelid that started years ago from an eyebrow wound that must have healed wrong. For years we thought that the shiny hairless lump was just scar tissue, but it caused her pain and bled a lot. Recently she went in for surgery, where a hard cyst-like substance was removed from her eyebrow. Then the skin tests came back positive for cancer. So she got another surgery and they got out as much as they could, but there is still a lot left that they were unable to remove. She has been to several specialists and meetings but no one is sure yet how to proceed because radiation therapy could cause problems with her eye. If one of us had seen pictures of basal cell carcinoma years ago, we would have recognized it and some of this might have been prevented.

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with squamous cell skin cancer yesterday. Five weeks ago, I spent a week in Florida. Only two of those days were warm enough to wear short sleeves. While I was there, I noticed a spot on my arm that got red and irritated looking. After I got home, I called the dermatologist and saw him three weeks later. By then the area got bigger and part of the top formed a scab, which fell off and created a hole that bled. The dermatologist called me yesterday and said it was a small squamous cell skin cancer, and since it was removed, this is probably the only treatment. I have another appointment in two and a half months for a follow-up. I had a melanoma on my thigh six years ago. I had a wide excision and follow-up with blood work and chest X-rays for five years. I am very fair (100% Irish) and got a lot of sunburns when I was a kid. I would just like to encourage people to not ignore anything on their skin because the sooner it is removed, the better the outcome. And I am still shocked at how quickly this came on and that it is cancer. It is scary to hear the word cancer in your diagnosis, and it does help to talk to other people who have gone through the same thing. I'm happy to report that I'm doing well and am encouraged that this new skin cancer was caught early.

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

Comment from: Hazel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a lump unlike a spot on my wrist in 2008 after being assured by my doctor that it was nothing to worry about it was up to me if I wanted it removed, of which I chose to have it removed the following week buy another doctor who asked if i wanted it removed for vanity reasons! Any way it was removed and after having the stitches taken out i went away on holiday only to return to a phone call from a plastic surgeon for me to attend an appointment that week, where i was told that it was malignant melanoma. Within 10 days I was in hospital to have a bigger margin removed and also a node removed that drained that part of my arm. so after a week i went back to the plastic surgeon to have stitches removed from my wrist and under arm where i was told cancer cells had been found in my node so within the month i was back in the hospital for all the nodes to be removed from under my arm, not an operation to be taken lightly. That was 3 years ago now I was on a drug trial after the operation but it didn't agree with me so I was taken of it but I got checkups every 3 months for 3 years that also included a brain scan, a mammogram, a bladder scope, and also another lump being removed which was not cancerous, also I went into menopause at the age of 44. I've had bad days in those three years but they are getting fewer, but have had a painful hip for the last 4 months so I'm just waiting for an appointment to come in for a CT scan. I think I am very much a lucky one but there are days when I'm just waiting for it to come back. I'm sure there will come that I don't think about it every day.

Must Read Articles Related to Skin Cancer

Common Health Tests
Common Health Tests Common health tests may be performed in your doctor's office or even in the pharmacy. Regular health checks and screening for certain diseases and conditions ha...learn more >>
Mole Removal
Mole Removal Moles may be removed using exci...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer:

Skin cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your skin cancer?

Skin Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your skin cancer?