Sleep Disorders and Aging (cont.)
Sleep Disorders and Aging Symptoms
Often the bed partner is first to notice problems with a person's sleep.
Symptoms of sleep disorders reflect the feeling of not getting enough sleep.
- Feeling tired (fatigue)
- Difficulty concentrating or paying attention
- Not feeling rested
- Unable to go to sleep
- Taking a long time to go to sleep at night
- Frequent awakening at night
- Unable to go back to sleep after awakening
- Daytime sleepiness
- Sleep apnea may cause symptoms in addition to those already named.
- Morning headaches
- Wake up confused
- Wake up gasping for breath
Carmel Armon, MD, MHS, MSc
Must Read Articles Related to Sleep Disorders and Aging
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>
Grief and Bereavement
Grief is our personal experience of loss. Mourning is a public expression of our grief. Bereavement is the period after a loss during which mourning occurs (usu...learn more >>