Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder (cont.)
Questions to Ask the Doctor
A doctor may be able to answer questions about sleep-related issues. The following questions may help in identifying ways to improve sleep:
- How can I make my environment more conducive to sleep?
- Do any of my medications or herbal preparations cause insomnia?
- How does caffeine influence my ability to fall asleep?
- How can I minimize the effect of changing shift work on my ability to sleep?
- How can I minimize the effect of jet lag when I travel?
- What techniques can I use on my own to improve my ability to fall asleep and stay asleep?
- How can I minimize my reaction to daytime stresses so I can fall asleep?
- How does my family history influence my likelihood of having a sleep disorder?
- What can I do to help my teenager not only fall asleep but also wake up in time for school?
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/19/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder
Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. learn more >>
Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>
Seasonal Depression (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is tied to seasons of the year. Symptoms include depressed mood, fatigue, feelings of worthlessne...learn more >>