Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder (cont.)
Exams and Tests
- A sleep log identifies the sleep-wake cycles in a
person's normal environment, and it allows subjective assessment of alertness
over a 2-week period. In keeping a sleep log, a person is asked to maintain a
sleep diary describing the previous night's sleep. Data from the sleep diary
may help to minimize distortions in sleep information recalled some time later
while in the health care provider's office. Sleep logs can also be used for
self-monitoring and as an additionto behavioral treatment.
- Imaging studies, such as CT scanand MRI, may be done to
evaluate for neurodegenerative diseases.
- A multiple sleep latency test allows for objective measurement of sleepiness. This test is indicated when the clinical history is suggestive of narcolepsy.
- The Epworth Sleepiness Scale is based on a questionnaire that rates a person's responses to 8 situations on a scale of 0-3 based on whether the situation was likely to be associated with dozing behavior. Although controversy exists as to what score constitutes abnormal sleepiness,
a total score above 10 generally warrants investigation.
- Actigraphy is done with the help of an Actigraph. An Actigraph is a small, motion-sensing device worn on the nondominant wrist, generally for 1 week. Actigraphy is based on the premise that a person's wrist motion decreases during sleep. This allows an overall measure of sleep-wake cycles over time.
Must Read Articles Related to Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder
Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. Insomnia is actually a symptoms of a condition, disease, or situation. Non-medical treatment of in...learn more >>
Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>
Seasonal Depression (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is tied to seasons of the year. Symptoms include depressed mood, fatigue, feelings of worthlessne...learn more >>