Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: roberta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a 35-year-old woman who sleepwalks. I don't know how often but I wake up with cuts and bruises on my legs. Sometimes my back door will be open when I wake up.

Comment from: Peg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I sleepwalk, according to my boyfriend, and I talk and even eat food but I don't remember it the next day. I had left over lamb chops and potatoes and ate the lamb chops and whole can of cheese. The next day when I decided to have the lamb and potatoes for dinner, it wasn't there! I was shocked! I do feel tired the next day.

Comment from: Cameron, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm 16 and I have been sleepwalking for a while, when I was little I used to wake up under the bed with no recollection of how I got there, within the past year I have started to get out of my bed and walk about, I have also started eating cheese whilst sleep walking (I know this because I have found bits of them in my teeth when I've woken up) I've also sat up, opened my eyes and had a conversation with my mum, she says I didn't say a lot and was only saying the most basic answers to what she was saying.

Comment from: Fiona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I used to sleep walk when I was a kid. Stress appears to bring it on and I have been sleep walking on and off throughout my adult life.

Comment from: Brenda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

My first sleepwalking episode occurred when after a nap, I found myself outside in the middle of the day in my PJs.

Comment from: Evvieann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I am a forty-year-old woman and have been sleepwalking my entire life. Sometimes I just wander about or I eat. But what scares me the most is I also beat myself up and I have even thrown myself down a flight of stairs. I am terrified every night as to what I'll do next. Sometimes I don't know where I have been for days at a time. Anyone able to offer some advice as how to deal with this problem would be much appreciated.

Comment from: cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I sleepwalk and I hurt myself quite a bit.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I tend to sleepwalk during periods of extreme stress. I also occasionally did so as a small child. It then resurfaced in college when I was having difficulty adjusting. The episodes subsided until my marriage broke up, 17 years later. I have anxiety disorder, OCD, and moderate Asperger's Syndrome.

Comment from: Steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I'm 42 and first started sleepwalking when I was about 10 years old, when my mother found me standing in the street after hearing the front door open. To my knowledge, I hadn't done it for a long time, but over the past few years my family has witnessed me yelling gibberish, having conversations with myself, walking around the room, using the bathroom, and other activities while asleep. Over the past year, I have injured myself twice. Once, I stood up and tried to walk while my foot was asleep, resulting in a nasty fall and a sprained foot. Last month, I apparently stood up and ran straight into the metal support pole in the middle of the room, fell face first onto the floor, and separated my shoulder. Thankfully, I narrowly missed a rotator cuff tear. The doctor who treated my shoulder is questioning if the gabapentin I have been taking the past three years may be a cause. Also, over the past year I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression, which also may be a factor.

Comment from: Mum, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My daughter sleepwalks at least twice per week. She doesn't remember doing it but it is getting quite worrying for my husband and I because she has gone outside on at least three occasions. We now hide her car keys and also the front door keys so she can't let herself out. Last night she was sleepwalking and a very large television in her room was knocked on to the floor. If she was in the way she could have been seriously hurt. She has just gone through a very bad relationship breakup and it has been since then these episodes have occurred.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?