Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: Desparate, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 24

I have 2 teens (boy and girl) and a 6 year old at home. My husband of 18 years has been bed wetting for almost two years now and sleep walking for almost a year. He thinks it is all funny when we tell him what he did. I have video taped him sleep walking. It is really getting to be to much for me to handle. He had tried more then once to climb in bed with our daughter, stacked stands like walls, went outside talking with the dog, and almost destroyed our 6 year old's bed while he was in it asleep. I don't know how to convince him to get medical help anymore. He has a bipolar disorder and the doctors he see told him to see his physician but no luck.

Comment from: M211, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm 16 and in my whole 16 years of living I have never experienced sleep walking until two nights ago. That day I had to go in to a new job and start training. I got home around 10:30 and I know I was extremely tired I changed into my PJs and turned my alarm for school the next day. That's all I remember from that night. I woke up at 2:07 in the morning in my mom's room, sleeping next to my dad's side and my mom was nowhere in sight. I was really confused and thought I was sleeping but I realized it wasn't a dream. Later that day, my mom told me I woke her up at midnight and started telling her she had to take me to my job and that I had to go fold clothes or else they would not give me the job. I laughed it off with my mom because why would I leave my house to go fold clothes, but I just wish I could remember ever doing this.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have always been a sleepwalker. Folks told me from the time I could crawl, I did it. I am 50 years old and still doing it. I have awakened outside, in cars, halfway down staircases, and the like. I have gotten hurt twice when I fell down stairs. Once, I fell in the tub and shattered my wrist, and I have been locked out of my home more times than I can remember. I do all kinds of crazy things when I am asleep.

Comment from: mammy worries, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I am a mother of four kids who are nine, seven, five and we have an 18-month-old baby. Quite frequently they sleepwalk. Sometimes they just wander around their rooms, but more worryingly on weird occasions, all the elder three sleep walk at same time and have climbed ladders, stairs etc. There must obviously something worrying the lot of them. I can't understand it.

Comment from: roberta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a 35-year-old woman who sleepwalks. I don't know how often but I wake up with cuts and bruises on my legs. Sometimes my back door will be open when I wake up.

Comment from: Peg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I sleepwalk, according to my boyfriend, and I talk and even eat food but I don't remember it the next day. I had left over lamb chops and potatoes and ate the lamb chops and whole can of cheese. The next day when I decided to have the lamb and potatoes for dinner, it wasn't there! I was shocked! I do feel tired the next day.

Comment from: Cameron, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I'm 16 and I have been sleepwalking for a while, when I was little I used to wake up under the bed with no recollection of how I got there, within the past year I have started to get out of my bed and walk about, I have also started eating cheese whilst sleep walking (I know this because I have found bits of them in my teeth when I've woken up) I've also sat up, opened my eyes and had a conversation with my mum, she says I didn't say a lot and was only saying the most basic answers to what she was saying.

Comment from: Fiona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I used to sleep walk when I was a kid. Stress appears to bring it on and I have been sleep walking on and off throughout my adult life.

Comment from: Brenda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

My first sleepwalking episode occurred when after a nap, I found myself outside in the middle of the day in my PJs.

Comment from: Evvieann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I am a forty-year-old woman and have been sleepwalking my entire life. Sometimes I just wander about or I eat. But what scares me the most is I also beat myself up and I have even thrown myself down a flight of stairs. I am terrified every night as to what I'll do next. Sometimes I don't know where I have been for days at a time. Anyone able to offer some advice as how to deal with this problem would be much appreciated.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?