Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: May 06

My 40-year old male cousin has been sleep-walking for around 12 months and usually, after having been out drinking with friends. His wife has also, found him urinating in various places other than the toilet and he appears angry if she tries to lead him back to bed. He remembers nothing of his experiences and his wife is now getting most concerned at the frequency and possible dangers of her husband's sleepwalking.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I think my 2 year old may be a sleepwalker. One day while sleeping he got up walked over to his table sat down picked up a towel that was on the table and tried to eat it, he then woke up dazed like he didn't know what was going on. I'm kind of concerned, hopefully this is something he will grow out of, I noticed recently that he has been having night terrors as well.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: April 13

I sleepwalk and I have had conversations with my wife, used the bathroom and unforgotten. I have gotten violent, yelled, cussed and even hit my wife. I had no memory of any of it and frankly I'm scared of doing worse. I love my wife and I don't like hurting her.

Comment from: Alexandria, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been sleepwalking for as long as I've known. My family says that one time they heard weird noises coming from my room and it turns out, I was trying to climb up the wall. Other times I have tried to "escape" out the door while wearing my sister's boots. It is very scary not knowing what I do in the middle of the night.

Comment from: mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My daughter woke up and found herself outside my apartment. My son said he heard her come out of her room but then stated she was not in the apartment. She then knocked on the door and asked my son to let her in. She said woke up in the hallway and became scared because she didn't know how she got there. She is 8 years old and I remember one day waking up and my front door was open but we all were asleep I assumed it wasn't locked but now we're not so sure.

Comment from: wandering in Warwick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My father and my two older brothers and I all have had sleepwalking problems. My two brothers stopped sleepwalking as adults and I stopped at around 17 yrs old when I trained myself to turn on the light when getting out of bed, and my father as an adult used to sleepwalk during very stressful times at work. After 40 years of not sleepwalking, I started again at 57 years old and for the last three years have been trying to conquer it. I live alone and always awaken from the sleepwalking by falling down. No broken bones yet, but I've had many very hard falls. Last night I fell head first into the side of my cast iron bath tub. Sometimes I am standing still sort of rocking back and forth in one spot and then my legs give out and I go down, frequently with not enough awareness to put my hands out to break my fall. It's at its worst when I'm over tired and when stressed. I also have fibromyalgia, so it's easy to be over tired. I try not to do anything stimulating after 9 pm at night as I tend to sleepwalk to finish chores, like house renovations, if I continue to do them after 9 pm. I do have an appointment with a sleep clinic in two months, we'll see if they can help. I've had and passed a sleep apnea test.

Comment from: Bobby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I am a 46 year old male. I sleepwalk frequently. I have walked out of my house a few times. I have racked up balls on a pool table, and the list goes on. Recently on vacation at my brother and sister-in-law's house, I fell down a flight of stairs into their pitch black basement. I woke up while falling, breaking my collar bone, a rib, and dislocating my shoulder. I have been in therapy for weeks. I know I am very lucky to be alive, but I am very worried about future walks. I suggest that the sleepwalker be awakened if someone sees them...It might save a life.

Comment from: HeatherLK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am 41 years old and have been sleepwalking regularly for about 10-12 years. I can usually fall asleep for the first hour of the night but then I am up every 30 minutes or I am sleepwalking. Recently I fell on my face so hard, it felt like I broke my nose. I also missed the last 5 steps of my staircase and sprained my shoulder. I've tried all the sleep medications and they don't do anything. I wish there was something that could help because I am so tired during the day.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 28 and have been sleepwalking since I can remember. I see things, usually spiders or snakes, and scream and run away. I have hit my partner while sleepwalking, and flung myself off my bed. I can remember part of the experience if my partner tells me about it in the morning. It happens about once a month.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?