Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I sleepwalk and I hurt myself quite a bit.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I tend to sleepwalk during periods of extreme stress. I also occasionally did so as a small child. It then resurfaced in college when I was having difficulty adjusting. The episodes subsided until my marriage broke up, 17 years later. I have anxiety disorder, OCD, and moderate Asperger's Syndrome.

Comment from: Steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I'm 42 and first started sleepwalking when I was about 10 years old, when my mother found me standing in the street after hearing the front door open. To my knowledge, I hadn't done it for a long time, but over the past few years my family has witnessed me yelling gibberish, having conversations with myself, walking around the room, using the bathroom, and other activities while asleep. Over the past year, I have injured myself twice. Once, I stood up and tried to walk while my foot was asleep, resulting in a nasty fall and a sprained foot. Last month, I apparently stood up and ran straight into the metal support pole in the middle of the room, fell face first onto the floor, and separated my shoulder. Thankfully, I narrowly missed a rotator cuff tear. The doctor who treated my shoulder is questioning if the gabapentin I have been taking the past three years may be a cause. Also, over the past year I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression, which also may be a factor.

Comment from: Mum, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My daughter sleepwalks at least twice per week. She doesn't remember doing it but it is getting quite worrying for my husband and I because she has gone outside on at least three occasions. We now hide her car keys and also the front door keys so she can't let herself out. Last night she was sleepwalking and a very large television in her room was knocked on to the floor. If she was in the way she could have been seriously hurt. She has just gone through a very bad relationship breakup and it has been since then these episodes have occurred.

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: May 06

My 40-year old male cousin has been sleep-walking for around 12 months and usually, after having been out drinking with friends. His wife has also, found him urinating in various places other than the toilet and he appears angry if she tries to lead him back to bed. He remembers nothing of his experiences and his wife is now getting most concerned at the frequency and possible dangers of her husband's sleepwalking.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I think my 2 year old may be a sleepwalker. One day while sleeping he got up walked over to his table sat down picked up a towel that was on the table and tried to eat it, he then woke up dazed like he didn't know what was going on. I'm kind of concerned, hopefully this is something he will grow out of, I noticed recently that he has been having night terrors as well.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: April 13

I sleepwalk and I have had conversations with my wife, used the bathroom and unforgotten. I have gotten violent, yelled, cussed and even hit my wife. I had no memory of any of it and frankly I'm scared of doing worse. I love my wife and I don't like hurting her.

Comment from: Alexandria, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been sleepwalking for as long as I've known. My family says that one time they heard weird noises coming from my room and it turns out, I was trying to climb up the wall. Other times I have tried to "escape" out the door while wearing my sister's boots. It is very scary not knowing what I do in the middle of the night.

Comment from: mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My daughter woke up and found herself outside my apartment. My son said he heard her come out of her room but then stated she was not in the apartment. She then knocked on the door and asked my son to let her in. She said woke up in the hallway and became scared because she didn't know how she got there. She is 8 years old and I remember one day waking up and my front door was open but we all were asleep I assumed it wasn't locked but now we're not so sure.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?