Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: wandering in Warwick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My father and my two older brothers and I all have had sleepwalking problems. My two brothers stopped sleepwalking as adults and I stopped at around 17 yrs old when I trained myself to turn on the light when getting out of bed, and my father as an adult used to sleepwalk during very stressful times at work. After 40 years of not sleepwalking, I started again at 57 years old and for the last three years have been trying to conquer it. I live alone and always awaken from the sleepwalking by falling down. No broken bones yet, but I've had many very hard falls. Last night I fell head first into the side of my cast iron bath tub. Sometimes I am standing still sort of rocking back and forth in one spot and then my legs give out and I go down, frequently with not enough awareness to put my hands out to break my fall. It's at its worst when I'm over tired and when stressed. I also have fibromyalgia, so it's easy to be over tired. I try not to do anything stimulating after 9 pm at night as I tend to sleepwalk to finish chores, like house renovations, if I continue to do them after 9 pm. I do have an appointment with a sleep clinic in two months, we'll see if they can help. I've had and passed a sleep apnea test.

Comment from: Bobby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I am a 46 year old male. I sleepwalk frequently. I have walked out of my house a few times. I have racked up balls on a pool table, and the list goes on. Recently on vacation at my brother and sister-in-law's house, I fell down a flight of stairs into their pitch black basement. I woke up while falling, breaking my collar bone, a rib, and dislocating my shoulder. I have been in therapy for weeks. I know I am very lucky to be alive, but I am very worried about future walks. I suggest that the sleepwalker be awakened if someone sees them...It might save a life.

Comment from: HeatherLK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am 41 years old and have been sleepwalking regularly for about 10-12 years. I can usually fall asleep for the first hour of the night but then I am up every 30 minutes or I am sleepwalking. Recently I fell on my face so hard, it felt like I broke my nose. I also missed the last 5 steps of my staircase and sprained my shoulder. I've tried all the sleep medications and they don't do anything. I wish there was something that could help because I am so tired during the day.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 28 and have been sleepwalking since I can remember. I see things, usually spiders or snakes, and scream and run away. I have hit my partner while sleepwalking, and flung myself off my bed. I can remember part of the experience if my partner tells me about it in the morning. It happens about once a month.

Comment from: daisy1cow, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My 16 year old son used to sleepwalk when he was younger. I have noticed the last few nights he is doing it again. He found his window open one morning and the screen was found out in the middle of the yard. Scary since he is on the second floor. He now has them shut and locked. Last night he woke me up as he was opening my closet door at 3:20am. I asked him what he was doing and he mumbled something and went into the bathroom where he turned the lights on and off twice, ran the water in the sink and went to bed. I smelled something hot and came downstairs and found the oven on at 400 degrees! He is going to hurt himself or burn the house down.

Comment from: sososimple, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

This morning, about 2 a.m., I woke up looking for the brownies I had mixed in a bowl to bake. I wanted to add the three eggs I had cracked up and stirred up for the brownies. I looked everywhere for the brownies with no success. So I put the three eggs in a cakepan and baked them for 5 or ten minutes, then proceeded to taste them with spaghetti sauce on them as a topping. It was then I fully woke up - feeling embarrassed and shocked. I have done this only once before that I know of. The other time involved looking for another person in my house that was injured (and didn't exist). I am in stage four lung cancer and wonder if these events are stress- or fear-related? It is scary to think I turned on the oven, prepared something to bake and baked it. Sounds dangerous to me even though I laugh about it now.

Comment from: Darminicus, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I started sleepwalking when I enlisted in the military, I was medically discharged because of this, I continue to have episodes and are beginning to get more frequent, what scares me is that others have said that I become violent, esp when they try to lead me back to my bed or wake me up, I have had many tests done, but no closer to resolving the issue. I remember waking up on my floor with a wrist band on and my truck was almost out of gas when I filled it up just before getting home. I am sick of dealing with this.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?