Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm 28 and have been sleepwalking since I can remember. I see things, usually spiders or snakes, and scream and run away. I have hit my partner while sleepwalking, and flung myself off my bed. I can remember part of the experience if my partner tells me about it in the morning. It happens about once a month.

Comment from: daisy1cow, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My 16 year old son used to sleepwalk when he was younger. I have noticed the last few nights he is doing it again. He found his window open one morning and the screen was found out in the middle of the yard. Scary since he is on the second floor. He now has them shut and locked. Last night he woke me up as he was opening my closet door at 3:20am. I asked him what he was doing and he mumbled something and went into the bathroom where he turned the lights on and off twice, ran the water in the sink and went to bed. I smelled something hot and came downstairs and found the oven on at 400 degrees! He is going to hurt himself or burn the house down.

Comment from: sososimple, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

This morning, about 2 a.m., I woke up looking for the brownies I had mixed in a bowl to bake. I wanted to add the three eggs I had cracked up and stirred up for the brownies. I looked everywhere for the brownies with no success. So I put the three eggs in a cakepan and baked them for 5 or ten minutes, then proceeded to taste them with spaghetti sauce on them as a topping. It was then I fully woke up - feeling embarrassed and shocked. I have done this only once before that I know of. The other time involved looking for another person in my house that was injured (and didn't exist). I am in stage four lung cancer and wonder if these events are stress- or fear-related? It is scary to think I turned on the oven, prepared something to bake and baked it. Sounds dangerous to me even though I laugh about it now.

Comment from: Darminicus, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I started sleepwalking when I enlisted in the military, I was medically discharged because of this, I continue to have episodes and are beginning to get more frequent, what scares me is that others have said that I become violent, esp when they try to lead me back to my bed or wake me up, I have had many tests done, but no closer to resolving the issue. I remember waking up on my floor with a wrist band on and my truck was almost out of gas when I filled it up just before getting home. I am sick of dealing with this.

Comment from: jmlinck, 35-44 Male Published: December 21

My son, who is now 40 years old has experienced sleepwalking, which was witnessed by his wife. My son has sleepwalked since a young child. I am concerned because I thought that was normal for young children.

Comment from: Nona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I've been a sleepwalker since about 5 years of age, I'm now 53. I can go months, even years between episodes. Stress seems to be the trigger, concern for my elderly dog during the recent cold snap set me off recently. I woke up, lying on the bed, shivering, no duvet, pillows. Downstairs my dog was asleep under a mountain of cushions, towels, pillows and my duvet. This was at least amusing, less amusing was the time I sleep-drove, taking the car out of the garage, driving about 2 miles before returning. How do I know what I did? I delivered a nonsense letter to a friend, the only recognizable bit being my signature.

Comment from: mslili, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have a seizure disorder since 1991. I was wondering if this can cause sleepwalking. I just started sleepwalking a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to do it a lot. When I do it I don't remember it the next day. My boyfriend would tell me everything what happened. I would do my sleepwalking around the house and he'd follow me around and watch me where I'd go or do. My sleepwalking most likely happens early morning between 1am-5am.

Comment from: Glenn, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I have been a sleep walker all my life. I am 40 and I still do it. I have cooked entire meals. My concern is, my 3 year old is doing it now. It scares me because I too could have burned the house to the ground.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?