Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am the youngest of five daughters...we are all "active sleepers." I wake up with bruises and cuts all over my body at times. I don't recall these events but have been told that I have conversations that don't connect to anything (requesting window cleaner and garbage bags or asking who is in the closet for example), talk on the phone, cook dinner at 3am, watch TV, folded laundry, driven (very scary) and wandered around my house or yard. I also kick and punch imaginary foes. While in the Army I tied a boot lace from my arm and the rack to avoid wandering (an immediate discharge). I have also hurt myself quite badly. My husband told me that I went to get our youngest son who was an infant at the time and crying. He heard a crash and when I returned I told him my foot hurt. I woke up screaming in pain. I had ripped a ligament in my ankle. The ER did not believe that I didn't remember the event and suggested domestic violence counseling. Due to other issues I started taking Ambien and do not move hardly when I sleep if I take this medication. It does not make for a restful night but it keeps me out of the ER. Otherwise I am quite healthy. Yes my kids are active sleepers as well, as are most of my nieces and nephews.

Comment from: Confused Wife, 35-44 Male Published: September 09

My husband is 43. He told me he was medically discharged from the Navy for sleepwalking. I never experienced it until a little over a year ago, when he'd grab the lamp of the night stand while laying down and put it on the floor and fumble with it. I asked what he was doing and he said scanning an item. He does that at work. He would not stop his fumbling so I told him he was dreaming, and to stop, and he became angry saying I was interrupting his work. I was afraid he was going to break the light bulb and cut himself, I tried to take the lamp from him, but he threw it across the room, cussed me out, took his blanket and pillow and went to sleep on the couch. About an hour later, he came back asking what happened. Something similar happened a few weeks later. Then last night he got up, started fumbling with a box on the floor, ripped the top off, when questioned he said he was filling, something he does at work, yelled at me, then he started peeing in the box, when I told him to stop he was sleepwalking, he cussed me out, slammed the bedroom door, went into the bathroom, and came back told me I was crazy and went back to sleep.

Comment from: Kytf, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I just sleepwalked yesterday. I got up from my bed, poked my mom and unfolded my hand as if I was holding a book. I said here is your book. She asked, "Which book?" I said, "Your cook book." I went and laid down on my bed. My mom came and she asked if she could get me some covers. I said, “I gave you your cookbook, so go!” The next day my mom asked me what was wrong with me.

Comment from: Desparate, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 24

I have 2 teens (boy and girl) and a 6 year old at home. My husband of 18 years has been bed wetting for almost two years now and sleep walking for almost a year. He thinks it is all funny when we tell him what he did. I have video taped him sleep walking. It is really getting to be to much for me to handle. He had tried more then once to climb in bed with our daughter, stacked stands like walls, went outside talking with the dog, and almost destroyed our 6 year old's bed while he was in it asleep. I don't know how to convince him to get medical help anymore. He has a bipolar disorder and the doctors he see told him to see his physician but no luck.

Comment from: M211, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm 16 and in my whole 16 years of living I have never experienced sleep walking until two nights ago. That day I had to go in to a new job and start training. I got home around 10:30 and I know I was extremely tired I changed into my PJs and turned my alarm for school the next day. That's all I remember from that night. I woke up at 2:07 in the morning in my mom's room, sleeping next to my dad's side and my mom was nowhere in sight. I was really confused and thought I was sleeping but I realized it wasn't a dream. Later that day, my mom told me I woke her up at midnight and started telling her she had to take me to my job and that I had to go fold clothes or else they would not give me the job. I laughed it off with my mom because why would I leave my house to go fold clothes, but I just wish I could remember ever doing this.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have always been a sleepwalker. Folks told me from the time I could crawl, I did it. I am 50 years old and still doing it. I have awakened outside, in cars, halfway down staircases, and the like. I have gotten hurt twice when I fell down stairs. Once, I fell in the tub and shattered my wrist, and I have been locked out of my home more times than I can remember. I do all kinds of crazy things when I am asleep.

Comment from: mammy worries, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I am a mother of four kids who are nine, seven, five and we have an 18-month-old baby. Quite frequently they sleepwalk. Sometimes they just wander around their rooms, but more worryingly on weird occasions, all the elder three sleep walk at same time and have climbed ladders, stairs etc. There must obviously something worrying the lot of them. I can't understand it.

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?