Viewer Comments: Sleepwalking - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Treatment

What treatment was effective for the sleepwalking?

Comment from: Frank, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I am a 33-year-old male. I've been sleepwalking since childhood. My mom who is 65 and her brothers all sleepwalk too -- throughout their entire lives. I sometimes sit up in my bed at night and see things or people that are not there. My wife tells me my eyes are wide opened and I look scared. I talk in my sleep and have even pushed my wife because I didn't recognized her in our bed and thought she was some stranger. In extreme cases of nightmares I have been known to actually get up and try to flee the room. This is on and off. I can be weeks or months without having an episode.

Comment from: EVE235, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

I work in a nursing home and although this is not a problem there, we do have sensors that we hook up to people in case they try to get out of bed. We also have a buzzer that alerts us if someone is on the move. Recently a good friend found herself outside in her pajamas after a stressful night at work.

Comment from: Lordft, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

Hi, I used to sleep walk lots from 6 to teenager, but cannot recollect any of it. All I know is that my sisters used to dance with me while I am still sleepwalking. I never believed them until one day they showed me a video of one of them trying to dance with while I was asleep. I have to admit it was rather funny.

Comment from: abbbir, Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My 14-year-old son is sleepwalking. We're trying treatments to see if something helps.

Comment from: bob, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have been sleepwalking all of my life, so does my Sister Son and Daughter, stress does seem to trigger it, also being in a strange place. It has become less as I have aged, I am now 63 but did sleep walk a couple of nights ago. To my knowledge I have only gone outside a few times and I do find that lights tend to wake me up.

Comment from: AGuyfromPortland, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I started sleepwalking around 4 years old. I had Night Terrors that there were spiders in the bed with me. I clawed dents into the bedroom door trying to escape. My parents thought I did it on purpose. I was 13 when they realized what was going on. It was discovered after I had apparently removed all the baking dishes from the lower cupboard in the kitchen, crawled in and fell asleep. My mother came into the kitchen in the morning and couldn't figure out why all the stuff was on the table. As far as I know, it ended by 18. Now I am 42 and it has started up again. I take Gabapentin, Celexa, and several pain meds for Chronic Pain. Lorazapam, which I take for anxiety, may be the trigger. Last night I found myself in the kitchen trying to feed the cat and make coffee. I put coffee grounds in the cat bowl, and took the cat food back to bed with me. I smoke in my sleep as well and have burned holes into all my blankets, the bed, and the carpet. I am terrified I am going to burn down my house. I hide my smokes now when I go to bed, along with the car keys, just in case.

Related Reading: Gabapentin

Must Read Articles Related to Sleepwalking

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleepwalking:

Sleepwalking - Experience

Do you sleepwalk, or do you know someone that sleepwalks?