Viewer Comments: Slipped Disk - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Slipped Disk:

Slipped Disk - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your slipped disc?

Comment from: Gilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I experience sharp pain in my lower back that rendered me unable to stand on shaking legs followed by excruciating pain.

Comment from: Hana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I experienced severe pain from my back to the right buttock down to my right thigh, knee, calf and toes. It happened after I pushed my side table to another position. I developed the pain after two days. It was unbearable. I'd rate the pain score at 8. I went to see the doctor. I described the pain as excruciating and at times I felt twitching and numbness. I learned from the gym center for slipped discs that I had a slipped disc. I was diagnosed by the doctor.

Comment from: caz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have multiple prolapsed discs in the lumbar spine. The area of the prolapse appears to be dented and pushing towards the front of my body.

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I fell off a ladder five years ago an over time, my lower back pain has gotten worse. It runs down buttocks an around groin area, down the thigh and knee. I've done physical therapy twice.sc now back to square one.

Comment from: Someone frm Malaysia, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

It is depressing to know that the damage is permanent. There is nothing I can do to fix it and I am only in my early thirties. My son is only 11 months old and I won't be able to carry him that often. I believe it was caused by a skiing accident more than 10 years ago. I have been suffering from back pain ever since. The symptoms were exaggerated by my working conditions where I sit for long hours. I regret that I took my back for granted. Now there is nothing I can do. I have to wear corset every day.

Comment from: momico, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Two years ago I had a collapsed disk fracture. It caused horrible pain I had to go to emergency. While I was in the hospital a kyphoplasty was performed to raise the disk. The terrible pain was gone but then after a second MRI it showed that the kyphoplasty did not take as it should. Now I get dull pain on the left side of my lower back when I stand too long it gets worse if I don't sit down and rest. I thought the procedure I had was a very successful procedure but because I have osteoporosis it did not work as it should have. I still have the sciatica too. I was told major surgery is my only option left since I also have spinal stenosis.

Comment from: getechsci20104, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I had severe pain with pressure/heaviness when disk is herniating. Just prior to this; pain would move from one side to another and pain/weakness moving/lifting leg(s) to walk/move.

Comment from: kecharene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I've had back problems since 1991 due to having my son and always carrying him around. Now I'm much older and the pain just gets worst. Theres times where I find myself crawling when I get an episode. All they can do is medicate you but the problem keeps coming up. I'm too scared for surgery but I will see what other options they have for me.

Comment from: Male Published: July 15

With my slipped disc, I felt pain in my upper back. I can feel the pain all the way through my neck, right and left shoulders, upper and lower back, and chest. The pain is not constant however I can feel pain during certain movements. Also I feel full torso pain while sneezing, and occasionally while breathing.

Comment from: Ekaterinano1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

With my slipped disk I had severe back pain, neck pains and pain when walking.

Comment from: suefromliverpool, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I lifted something quite heavy and the next day had an excruciating pain in my left leg, going into my knees, and right down to my foot. There was numbness in my underside of foot, and side of foot. I had severe tingling around the genital area. I also suffered the pain in my bottom, hip and groin area and this happened five months ago. Surprisingly, I hardly had any pain in my back, just a vague feeling above my bottom, but most of the pain in bottom knees and feet with all the neurological signs. I worked for three months with it, and was seeing a physiotherapist and then it started with tingling around the vaginal area and was told to cease work immediately and had an MRI scan one week later. This showed a disc prolapse at L5 and disc degenerative changes to L2 and L3. They thought that I had something to do with the bowels and bladder and were very concerned. Doctors said that resting my back is most important and then go back to work, and only do light duties. I put work before my health and I'm sorry I did that.

Must Read Articles Related to Slipped Disk

Exercise
Exercise Exercise has been shown to reduce one's risk of heart disease, diabetes, colon and breast cancer, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce depression an...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>