Small-Cell Lung Cancer (cont.)
Shreekanth V Karwande, MBBS
Small-Cell Lung Cancer Symptoms
Persons with small-cell lung cancer typically have had symptoms for a relatively short time (8-12 weeks) before they visit their doctor.
The symptoms can result from local growth of the tumor, spread to nearby areas, distant spread, paraneoplastic syndromes, or a combination thereof.
- Symptoms due to local growth of the tumor include the following:
- Symptoms due to spread of the cancer to nearby areas include the following:
- Hoarseness of voice, resulting from compression of the nerve that supplies the vocal cords
- Shortness of breath, resulting from compression of the nerve that supplies the muscles of the diaphragm or severe shortness of breath, and stridor (sound produced by turbulent flow of air through a narrowed part of the respiratory tract), resulting from compression of the trachea (windpipe) and larger bronchi (airways of the lung)
- Difficulty swallowing, resulting from compression of the esophagus (food pipe)
- Swelling of the face and hands, resulting from compression of the superior vena cava (vein that returns deoxygenated blood from the upper body)
- Symptoms due to distant cancer spread depend on the site of spread and include the following:
- Symptoms due to paraneoplastic syndromes include the following:
- Symptoms may or may not be characteristic of a specific organ system.
- Nonspecific symptoms include fatigue, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
Must Read Articles Related to Small-Cell Lung Cancer
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths. Symptoms and signs include coughing up blood, chest pain, wheezing, and chronic respiratory infections. Treat...learn more >>
Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer
Cancers are diseases in which normal cells transform so that they grow and multiply without normal controls. In many types of cancer, this results in the growth...learn more >>
Understanding Lung Cancer Medications
Medical therapy options for lung cancer include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy. These treatments help decrease tumor growth and size. When tumor growth...learn more >>
Viewer Comments & Reviews