Viewer Comments: Smoke Inhalation - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Smoke Inhalation:

Smoke Inhalation - Causes

What was the cause of your smoke inhalation?

Comment from: Miami Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I burnt food while cooking, fumes and smoke was inhaled and got into my throat. The irritation started immediately and got progressively worse, with constant hoarseness and dryness of my throat.

Comment from: stu an shaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

We live in a terraced house. Next door had a house fire. The smoke came through and we managed to wake up and get out after breathing in smoke long enough to soot our nostrils. We still feel doped up and woozy. Now after two weeks, we're still coughing, feeling tired all the time, and aching at our joints. We do not want to make a fuss as our neighbors died in the fire. We're feeling guilty almost, as we survived. We do not really wanting to talk to anyone about the incident. We do wonder if these symptoms are normal.

Comment from: Bodicea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My smoke inhalation was caused by the wildfires in my area for about a week.

Comment from: sunnygal7331, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My smoke inhalation occurred when bacon burned in a pan causing intense smoke. I inhaled some while opening the door and getting the dog outside.

Published: March 21

Our fireplace got backed up, which made the whole house smoky.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

We had a fire in our home while we were gone, but as we entered, there was a large degree of smoke in the house. We found later that our plastic trash can had burned a big hole in it. I rushed the children back outside quickly, opened doors, we are running fans in the house and windows are open. The fire had burned out, and firemen came checked to make sure no flame remains. A dust mop had gotten too close to our water heater that is run by gas. We let the house air out for two hours or so after the fire, then, took the kids to McDonald's later to escape smoke smells in the main area of the house, but we are sleeping in the house with tonight with windows open, fans on, but I am concerned about us staying in the house tomorrow. My eyes are burning some now having slept in the house for several hours. I do not seem mentally confused, just eyes burning some, no shortness of breath, no nausea vomiting from anyone. I just do not want to put the children at risk being in the house until we can clean up. We also have an air purifier which we have turned on as well.

Comment from: Debbie L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

The source of my smoke inhalation was plastic beads in a neck warmer that caught on fire in a microwave causing smoke damage. I have had headaches and burning in the back of my throat since coming back into the home and I have had severe fatigue and numbness and tingling of the tongue in conjunction with a bitter taste on my tongue that increases by eating acidic foods. Numbness and tingling increase by sniffing fabrics/carpet.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 12

My sister's boyfriend put a frozen potpie in the microwave instead of the oven for 50 minutes and when I walked up in their apt. it was filled with smoke. I grabbed my baby niece and went outside. I believe it was the carton that burned beyond recognition. It burned my throat and chest, I couldn't even breathe. He was up in the apt. longer then me because he was opening all the windows which then smoke poured out of them..

Must Read Articles Related to Smoke Inhalation

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Smoke Inhalation:

Smoke Inhalation - Treatment

What was the treatment for your smoke inhalation?

Smoke Inhalation - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your smoke inhalation?