Smokeless Tobacco (cont.)
Smokeless Tobacco Facts
- Smokeless tobacco contains at least 28 cancer-causing agents (carcinogens).
- The main carcinogens in smokeless tobacco are called tobacco-specific
- About 3% of adults aged 26 and over are users of smokeless tobacco, but
about 5% of those aged 18-25 report using smokeless tobacco.
- More than 13% of male high school students and more than 2% of female high
school students report using smokeless tobacco.
- Smokeless tobacco contains
nicotine, which causes
- Although nicotine is absorbed more slowly from smokeless tobacco than from
cigarettes, 3 to 4 times more nicotine is absorbed from smokeless tobacco than
from a cigarette.
- The nicotine from smokeless tobacco stays longer in the bloodstream than
nicotine from a cigarette.
- Smokeless tobacco is used worldwide in a number of different cultures.
Must Read Articles Related to Smokeless Tobacco
Cancer of the Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube measuring 20-25 cm (8-10 in) long and 2-3 cm (0.75-1.25 in) wide that serves as a conduit for moving food and drink from the ....learn more >>
Cancer of the Mouth and Throat
Cancer of the mouth and throat may look like an ulcer or a sore on the tongue, lips, inside lining of the cheeks, and other structures. Tobacco use, sun exposur...learn more >>
Cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of death and illness among Americans. Effects of smoking can cause cancers, emphysema, bronchitis, COPD, chronic cou...learn more >>