Sore Throat Definition
Your throat is a tube that carries food to your esophagus and air to your windpipe and larynx. The technical name for throat is pharynx.
You can have a sore throat for many reasons. Often, colds and flu cause sore throats. Other causes can include:
- Strep throat
- Tonsillitis - an infection in the tonsils
Home remedy treatments for sore throats
Treatment depends on the cause. Some home remedies that may ease the pain of a sore throat include:
- suck on lozenges, ice chips (do not give lozenges to young children),
- sore throat sprays
- drink lots of liquids,
- gargling may ease the pain,
- get plenty of rest,
- use a clean humidifier or mist vaporizer,
- avoid smoking, secondhand and thirdhand smoke, and
- take acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen to relieve pain or fever (never give aspirin to children),
CDC.gov. Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work.
MedlinePlus.gov. Sore Throat.