Sore Throat (cont.)
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Treatment of pain is often the number one priority if you have a sore throat.
Some of these home remedies and self-care steps may help alleviate the pain from
a sore throat.
- Throat lozenges often prove inadequate for all but the most minor cases.
- Gargling with salt water is sometimes helpful. (The person may try mixing table salt with warm water and gargling.)
- Although they may be rough on the stomach, NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as
naproxen) are often more effective pain relievers than
- Drinking plenty of fluids is very important.
- A fever can increase fluid requirements, and painful swallowing can decrease fluid intake.
- When it is hard for a person to drink, it is important to decrease
the body's requirements for fluid through rest and lowering any fever.
- Pain treatment can help increase fluid intake.
- Choose high-quality fluids such as soup broth (replaces both salt and water losses) and sugar-containing solutions (they help
absorb the fluids more rapidly).
caffeine because it can cause water loss.
- Getting extra sleep can promote more rapid recovery, especially if a virus is the cause. Malaise (a general feeling of illness) is the body's cry for rest.
Must Read Articles Related to Sore Throat
Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sore Throat: