Viewer Comments: Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sore Throat:

Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your sore throat (pharyngitis) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: pattysphd, Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Several Years ago I had the worst sore throat of my life. It was not just a sore throat. I had a raging fever, I could not swallow my own saliva, I could not stand up without help. I went to my doctor and was given a shot, antibiotics, and the regular stuff he always did that worked. It didn't touch it. I went two days later to the E.R. they did tests and said it was not responsive to treatment and sent me home. On day 6 back I went back to my Doc. (my family was really scared by now). He had given me everything he could think of but he said he would try one more thing. METHYLPREDNISONE!!!! I was given the first dose at around 10am while in bed. I had been in bed for 6 days pretty much. I woke up soaked in sweat, sat up, and it was over. My mom who had been in constant vigil couldn't believe that just like that it was gone. The next day I noticed I had a weird feeling when I would swallow. I looked at my tonsils and they were snow white. I swabbed my tonsils and when I touched them a coating like latex paint slid off revealing very pink healthy tissue. I never had before or since anything like this. But as the time 2 more family members came down with the same thing. Luckily I had done the leg work and told them instantly what to take and it worked on both of them as well. My doctor said there was a woman that had fallen into a coma from the same condition. If you ever don't respond to antibiotics please ask for Prednisone. It SAVED MY LIFE!!

Comment from: bnt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

Sore"ish" throat on right side at the foot of the mouth and jaw/throat begin- on an off for two years, had sum wisdom tooth issues and they were all pulled. Now it still comes and goes and seems to be wearing on me more and more. The doctor felt and saw nothing, same at dentist. Not sure what to think of it, thinking it's ulcer related.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a sore throat for about a month before my regular oncology checkup. It was in the right side of my throat and I didn't really notice it unless I was swallowing. I talked to the Doctor about it on my visit and he suggested getting off of the exemestane for 7 days to see what happened. At the end of those 7 days it was just about gone. I started taking the exemestane again. Now 3 months have gone by and the sore throat is back on the right side of my throat again. It wasn't there last week when I had my regular check-up, so I will contact the Doc with the current happenings. I also have joint pain and muscle pain that have gotten much worse since the beginning of this year. Looks like it may be time for a change to something else. I am in a research study between exemestane and tamoxifen, so we will see what happens.

Comment from: libbycp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My sore throat symptoms progressed to include a fever that felt very high and disturbed my sleep, though I do not know exactly how high my fever got. I believe the fever was so bad because I was dehydrated. My doctor had warned me to drink plenty, but I ignored her because it hurt so bad to drink or eat. That was a bad mistake. I think I would have been in the hospital if I had not started forcing down liquids last night. It has now been about seven days since my sore throat began. I am 52 years old. I mention this because I have rarely been sick since childhood, but since turning 50, my illnesses are pretty severe. My doctor says this is normal. So I hope all those older than 50 will take special note.

Comment from: shingai, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

My sore throat lasted for seven months. First, the doctors were saying I had staphylococcus aureus and now they're saying strep.

Comment from: Tom, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I used to have sore throat for almost three years. I was going through a very painful bereavement. No antibiotics would work and the doctor suggested removing the tonsils. But some new developments in life brought color back into life and the sore throat disappeared. It's been ten years since. I believe that a sore throat can also be a symptom of chronic stress, anxiety, sadness, negative thinking, depression or anger withheld. Set new goals and achieve them, take up new things that interests you better, turn to religion and cultivate the habit of prayer, meditation etc.

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My sore throat lasted almost three years! Every day during this time I had symptoms mimicking tonsillitis and the pain varied from 2-5 on a scale of 1-5 in my mind. 2 bearable - 4 to bed! Naturally, I tried everything. My ENT doctor tried sinus surgery to no avail; antibiotics to no avail; acupuncture with some temporary relief and throat massage some temporary relief. The medical diagnosis was a drug resistant bacteria for which no treatment was offered. Tonsillectomy may help but I'm doubtful! I was told to live with it! The only helpful treatment was through an herbalist whose potions slowly, slowly seemed to reduce pain until now it is never more than 2.

Comment from: Semone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

My sore throat came out of nowhere. It was very severe. I was hoarse for two days. The increase in liquids did help. Swallowing and yawning hurt a lot! There was no coughing, fever or nasal problems. My saliva often felt thick and caused me to gag. When awaking from a sleep, my throat would be burning and so dry. Cold 100% fruit juice was very soothing. Tea with lemon and honey did not help or hurt. Pain reliever and cold medications did help some.

Must Read Articles Related to Sore Throat

Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sore Throat:

Sore Throat - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your sore throat?

Sore Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with sore throat.