Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?

...
Comment from: pamela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

June of 2014 I noticed a dime size lesion on lower abdomen. I suspected a brown recluse spider bite and went to my surgeon. He didn't seem to have the same opinion, but did aspirate the lesion which produced mostly blood. This area healed totally leaving only a light brown discoloration of the skin. Now, March 2015, the same lesion has reappeared. The center is necrotic with a half dollar size area of very inflamed area encircling. This was approximately one week ago, and it is getting more swollen. I am leaving on a 3 day vacation, and am going to wait until I return to go back to the surgeon. I am wondering if spider bites return if all the venom wasn't removed at the first aspiration.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

On my right calf I have two puncture wounds that haven't healed. My leg hurts from the bites down. Sometimes it is hard to walk. I had very high blood pressure after I was bitten. It has been a month and one bite hasn't healed and I am getting a little worried. I am sure it is some kind of spider bite because I destroyed a couple of nests outside my front door.

Comment from: Colincrnstn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

Unbelievable, I was bitten 6 months ago in a hotel laundry/ironing room where it was warm dark, unventilated and for most of the time without people. The symptoms were classic, the shock and unbelief of what this spider can do to you is awesome. After the initial operations and daily wound care the side effects not usually known were nausea, dizziness, failing eyesight, liver, kidney and pancreas monitoring and high antibiotic medication together with steroid treatment to stop inflammation. Then a series of painful ulcers developing on the spine requiring 8 operations. One ulcer or abscess was 87mm in Diameter on my spine. The Doctors here in England were very good but had no experience such as Doctors in USA with this type of incident. Now 6 months later I am experiencing major stomach issues the antibiotics I had killed off my natural good bacteria and I have just started treatment to get rid of a C' Diff infection so all in all the little spider is very powerful if it bites you get to the nearest hospital and prepare yourself for 6-12 months of pain and tribulations.

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider I never felt it when it bit me it was on my little finger as the day wore on it got worse by midnight I was in severe pain all I could do was squeeze and hold it tight I went to the doctor but they could not get the shot in it was to swollen. I got some pills the pharmacists told me someone said take a small piece of clear plastic wrap and twist it around my finger when it would fall off I'd do it again. It would get really wet like it was drawing out the poison after a few weeks it healed and there's hardly a scar.

Comment from: oldsoullikemine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was bitten about 3 hours ago on the inside of my upper left arm and I have the spider in a bag. My husband saw it on my arm and tried to squash it, but in the process helped it's fangs to sink into my skin. I was bitten once before a few years ago but I was sleeping when it happened and I almost died! The doctor at the ER to said if I hadn't been brought that night I would have been dead by morning.

Comment from: guestnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I woke up on Saturday feeling nauseaus and light-headed. I noted that night a white spot with red spot by it on my right upper thigh/groin area. The next day spot was significantly larger and more painful. I started putting heat packs on it thinking it was just a boil. I was running fevers had chills and feeling achy all over. I went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. I went to the emergency room very lethargic, weak, barely able to walk. I was admitted and given IV fluids and antibiotics. My kidneys had started shutting down. Friday went to surgery to have to abcess opened and necrotic area cleaned out which had tunneled under the skin. I went home doing twice-a-day packing to the wound. The wound is healing very well now but still am having pain to my kidneys occasionally so will go to doctor to get them checked again.

Comment from: Denice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was getting ready for work when my side started itching. I raised my shirt to see a long large welt on the left side. I thought it was a mosquito bite. By the end of the day my side was swelled up, red and hot. I had a rash all over my body and face. I went to clinic next morning. Bite site was small hole with black spot in center. I had a fever and side was burning. This is day six and now it is purple with big blisters on the area and redness around surrounding skin the size of a dinner plate.

...

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?