Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?

...
Published: June 28

I was recently bitten by a brown recluse. It was very painful and there was a lot of pus coming from the bite. It's been three weeks and it still itches like mad.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 10

I was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider Easter Day 1985. Didn't know that was what happened until a couple of days later when I went to the doctor because of the severe pain. The bite was under my left arm and happened when I put my suit coat on (it had been hanging for two days in a rarely used dark, wooden closet of my Mother's old house and I thought I had been stuck from a pin left by the dry cleaners. It was sharp and painful. Within 48 hours the underside of my arm was black, extremely swollen and I couldn't stand to let it touch my body. Went to doctor and he informed me what it actually was. He gave me two shots and had me come back 48 hours later for two more. It cleared up before the next weekend thanks to his treatment. But he also let me know that if I hadn't come to him when I did I would have possibly/probably died within the next 24 to 36 hours because the bite was in proximity to an artery near my heart. The entire experience changed my outlook on ALL spiders. I see them, they're history!

I was bitten on the back of my upper arm about 2-3 inches above the elbow. It burned fiercely and I thought I had been bitten by a fire ant. I never saw it. I was out in my yard in Florida hanging clothes to dry. I began swelling into a red bump. I put antibiotic cream on it a lot but the bump kept growing bigger through the next day. Then it got a funny looking center and reached the size of 3 plus inches across with skin coming off of it forming a large crater. It was painful and scary looking so I went to the doctor on day 3. He recognized it immediately and prescribed ointment as well as pills. Layers of tissue came off the area for several weeks. After several months it healed up. It took about a year for the area to appear normal again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was bitten on the bottom of my leg a month ago. The pain is constant and sharp. No necrosis as of yet, but from what I've been told I still have a long way to go.

Comment from: nanapam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I got bit on the knee. I was staying at the hospital with a granddaughter and got bit in the hospital! My knee swelled up three times its normal size. A doctor was seen within 8 hours and I was put on an antibiotic. It took three months and three rounds of antibiotics to go back to normal. I was sore for weeks after the bite. This has been very painful!

Comment from: GusMahler, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

This site somewhat pissed me off, because it said that if you thought you were bitten by a brown recluse to get medical attention THAT DAY. Well, although my symptoms didn't fit 100%, I decided that it would be better to be safe than sorry and went on to the ER. Turns out, there's nothing there that they can do for a recluse bite...there is no antidote to the venom. So why did they tell me to go?!? Now, I've wasted $100 I didn't have on the ER visit co-pay!!

Comment from: Male Published: April 19

I am from Arkansas, right in the epicenter of Brown Recluse habitat and have grown up with several close calls to being bitten by them. I have numerous pictures I could submit of spiders I captured while living in the Arkansas River Valley region. Under Arkansas law, only cockroaches are required to be exterminated from a renter's premises, and this should be modified in areas with high infestations of this species in my opinion. Recently, a classmate recently suffered a bite from this spider in the Twin Cities, apparently having been carried by someone's luggage. The hospital where I now reside in Iowa had no experience with this species and erroneously instructed the victim to use heat in treatment, which spread the venom significantly and causing severe necrosis, causing the victim to become hospitalized for several days with an open wound to drain away the toxins. I would want for all American hospitals to be keenly aware of the possibility of brown recluse travel and if instructing, to give the correct information. Their faulty advice has effectively ruined what confidence I had in their services.

Comment from: kjpitcher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was 70 when I was bitten by a brown recluse spider about 4 inches above my left ankle. I had been bitten when I was 16 by a black widow and thought it was the same thing but I immediately started soaking the site in hot Epsom salts twice daily. After a month it was about 1inch wide and about 3 cm deep with a white gel over the top. I finally went to the doctor who cleaned off the gel and put a salve on. I continued the twice daily soaks for 4 months, and I now have a brown scar but no hole. I am glad I don't have anything more than that when I see what it could have looked like... even with medication!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?