Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider I never felt it when it bit me it was on my little finger as the day wore on it got worse by midnight I was in severe pain all I could do was squeeze and hold it tight I went to the doctor but they could not get the shot in it was to swollen. I got some pills the pharmacists told me someone said take a small piece of clear plastic wrap and twist it around my finger when it would fall off I'd do it again. It would get really wet like it was drawing out the poison after a few weeks it healed and there's hardly a scar.

Comment from: oldsoullikemine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was bitten about 3 hours ago on the inside of my upper left arm and I have the spider in a bag. My husband saw it on my arm and tried to squash it, but in the process helped it's fangs to sink into my skin. I was bitten once before a few years ago but I was sleeping when it happened and I almost died! The doctor at the ER to said if I hadn't been brought that night I would have been dead by morning.

Comment from: guestnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I woke up on Saturday feeling nauseaus and light-headed. I noted that night a white spot with red spot by it on my right upper thigh/groin area. The next day spot was significantly larger and more painful. I started putting heat packs on it thinking it was just a boil. I was running fevers had chills and feeling achy all over. I went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. I went to the emergency room very lethargic, weak, barely able to walk. I was admitted and given IV fluids and antibiotics. My kidneys had started shutting down. Friday went to surgery to have to abcess opened and necrotic area cleaned out which had tunneled under the skin. I went home doing twice-a-day packing to the wound. The wound is healing very well now but still am having pain to my kidneys occasionally so will go to doctor to get them checked again.

Comment from: Denice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was getting ready for work when my side started itching. I raised my shirt to see a long large welt on the left side. I thought it was a mosquito bite. By the end of the day my side was swelled up, red and hot. I had a rash all over my body and face. I went to clinic next morning. Bite site was small hole with black spot in center. I had a fever and side was burning. This is day six and now it is purple with big blisters on the area and redness around surrounding skin the size of a dinner plate.

Comment from: GASMAN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

On the first day, I had a red bump with small holes from the fangs. Then on the third day, I developed severe itching. Later, the ulcer started to eat away at the skin. The ulcer was about the size of a quarter and about a half-inch deep.

Comment from: Flor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

At first after the bit, I just felt minor itching on my leg. The next morning, I woke up to see a huge blister had formed. I just washed it off with alcohol and covered it up. The blister expanded rapidly with pain and redness expanding from it. I went to doctor the next day who diagnosed it and put me on medications and told me to make sure I keep it clean and change dressings. I am also to use antibiotic cream daily.

Published: June 28

I was recently bitten by a brown recluse. It was very painful and there was a lot of pus coming from the bite. It's been three weeks and it still itches like mad.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 10

I was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider Easter Day 1985. Didn't know that was what happened until a couple of days later when I went to the doctor because of the severe pain. The bite was under my left arm and happened when I put my suit coat on (it had been hanging for two days in a rarely used dark, wooden closet of my Mother's old house and I thought I had been stuck from a pin left by the dry cleaners. It was sharp and painful. Within 48 hours the underside of my arm was black, extremely swollen and I couldn't stand to let it touch my body. Went to doctor and he informed me what it actually was. He gave me two shots and had me come back 48 hours later for two more. It cleared up before the next weekend thanks to his treatment. But he also let me know that if I hadn't come to him when I did I would have possibly/probably died within the next 24 to 36 hours because the bite was in proximity to an artery near my heart. The entire experience changed my outlook on ALL spiders. I see them, they're history!

I was bitten on the back of my upper arm about 2-3 inches above the elbow. It burned fiercely and I thought I had been bitten by a fire ant. I never saw it. I was out in my yard in Florida hanging clothes to dry. I began swelling into a red bump. I put antibiotic cream on it a lot but the bump kept growing bigger through the next day. Then it got a funny looking center and reached the size of 3 plus inches across with skin coming off of it forming a large crater. It was painful and scary looking so I went to the doctor on day 3. He recognized it immediately and prescribed ointment as well as pills. Layers of tissue came off the area for several weeks. After several months it healed up. It took about a year for the area to appear normal again.

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?