Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: arachnebleu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

In 1972 when I was seventeen I was bitten on the back of the thigh by a spider which saved for the doctor. My doctor had never seen a spider like the one that bit me. My biology teacher identified it as a juvenile brown recluse. Eight hours after receiving the bite, I had a severe headache and was very sleepy. My thigh turned very red. 24 hours after receiving the bite I received a shot of epinephrine and antibiotic pills to take. By that time, I had turned bright red from head to toe and had a six to eight inch diameter purple blotch on my thigh. In the center was a black spot about the size of a half dollar. I was nauseated and had difficulty breathing. The rash itched unmercifully. It took three months to heal. The bite wound just looked kind of like a bruise and finally opened up about three and a half months after the initial bite. It took another three to four months to heal.

Comment from: Glo Berry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

In November 2004 I was bitten on the ankle by brown recluse. I spent 3 months in hospital. I had three operations with one being a skin graft. I nearly lost my leg the infection was so bad. I lost the ability to walk and had to learn to do this again. I cannot describe the pain it was so bad. Here it is 2010 and I still have trouble with my leg. The skin is so damaged that the least nick or scrape creates a wound that is still hard to heal. There is lots of swelling on this leg also and the circulation is very poor.

Comment from: Tabs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider and I would also not wish this on my worst enemy. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I cannot tell if the medication is making me feel this odd or the bite itself is, but I do NOT feel right and the bite is getting larger and very smelly although I am taking very good care of it. I was bitten twice on my right breast. I have been through quite a few problems in my life but never have I been this weak nor this afraid. Take care of yourselves.

Comment from: Duckhunter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I noticed a small bite on my forehead a few weeks ago. I had no idea what bit me, but I put a topical cream on the space to stop the itching. It wound started getting bigger and swelling. I would clean the wound daily, but then I started getting a fever and chills, with tenderness, which was very painful and started to move down one side of my face. My wife called the family doctor and told her that I might have been bitten by a brown recluse. The doctor calling in a sulfur-based antibiotic, which I was instructed to use twice daily. Swelling, redness and tenderness started going away but the hole and black skin increased. The doctor asked that I come in and agreed that it was a BRS. She had to remove the black dead skin, packed the hole with Mupirocin ointment that kills infection. I was told to keep covered 24/7 treat with Mupirocin ointment three times daily. I returned a week later with fresh pink skin smaller hole and no black skin. My doctor said to keep covered, and that the new tissue will continue to grow and cover the hole and there will be no scar. Within two weeks of antibiotics and ointment when I go back in 10 days, don't think there will be much left to heal. She said the secret to avoiding a scar is to keep wet and covered until healed.

Comment from: Salesgurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

The initial bite on my leg did not hurt and the next day thought I'd been bitten by a mosquito. Coincidentally I went to the dentist that same day and the hygienist asked why I was limping, I rolled up my pant leg and showed her the swollen wound on my leg. She gasped and said it was a Brown recluse bite and that a former patient had the same thing but no doctor would diagnose the bite accurately since Brown Recluses are not supposed to be in our area. The former patient ended up with 15 skin grafts and her arm looked like it had been mangled in a farming accident. The hygienist told me to go to the emergency room and no matter what the doctor said and DEMAND they listen to me and tell them I have a Brown recluse bite. She told me to demand they put me on this specific antibiotic. I caught the infection so early I barely have a scar but she was right no one in the emergency room believed me and wanted to send me home with pain meds. I pitched such a fit they prescribed this antibiotic. Brown recluses may not be indigenous to this area but they can certainly hitchhike their way up here in wood and other products. It's very hot and to their liking in the summers here so Emergency Rooms need to change their protocols and realize Brown Recluses can survive outside their typical range and habitat. Most painful thing I've ever gone through but I was one of the lucky ones! Early diagnosis and treatment is vital.

Comment from: lindalou246, 55-64 Female Published: June 14

I live in Minnesota where there are supposedly "no brown recluse spiders". I have had a necrotic skin lesion, about the size of a quarter, on my thigh for about 2 months. I have seen multiple doctors, had many wound cultures, blood tests, etc, and no one has been able to come up with a diagnosis that makes sense, so a couple of my doctors have finally determined that it has to be a BRS bite.(for which there seems to be no proven treatment. I have been on 3 rounds of antibiotics, which may have prevented a secondary bacterial infection. I have been a nurse in an urgent care clinic, and have to see I have never before seen an insect bite like this. These spiders have incredibly destructive venom. I assume I came in contact with this bug while laying wood chips that were shipped to my area from down south. I have been told, that eventually my wound will heal, but that it will take a very long time, and will leave a nasty scar. In the meantime, my doctor is watching the wound closely, and does periodic blood tests to make sure that this does not become a systemic infection. Good luck to all!! (By the way, the pain from this type of bite is very severe!!)

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?