Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: trujillokaren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

At first it itched severely the swelled within 2 hours within 4 hours i had to cut rings off within severe pain, nausea, and vomiting for 4 hours. Venom made my skin open in severe pain shortness of breath rushed to hospital and had a redline from wrist to elbow with hand and arm swelling 3 x its size. I literally passed out from pain 5 and had to have antibiotic. I was in the hospital for 8 days and had iv s for 8 days , wound was sewed open to drain venom. Today 5 months later cannot use my right hand or straighten ring finger and have no insurance to have any therapy, and the visual signs of venom are still present. My joint is very swollen and I have nerve damage.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have been bitten twice by brown recluse spiders here in Texas. Neither time did I notice the bite as anything usual until tissue necrosis set in. It could have been a mosquito or ant bite for the first few hours “ I never had any significant pain. The first time was on my arm, and I swelled up in my face to the point my left eye swelled closed. The swelling was more on the same side of the bite. I was treated at the emergency room for an allergic reaction with a Benadryl injection. The swelling and ill feeling cleared up. Later, I got the classic black sore ringed by red. It never hurt even though multiple layers of skin dried up, decayed, and fell off. I kept it covered and doused with antibiotic ointment. I could easily see the layer of fat underneath the skin when it was at its deepest. It took a while to heal, but left no scar. My skin loss area was never bigger than a 50-cent piece. The next time I got bit was on my nose. My reaction was about the same, but the skin loss was only the size of a nickel. My doctor said I would need a skin graft, but my nose healed with only a minor divot that I don't think is very noticeable. It healed much faster on my nose than it did on my arm. So, in my case the bites were not so bad.

Comment from: Jillan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my leg in our barn in Missouri. Two hours later, the site developed a bright red/purple circular area with a darkening center. Three days later, it turned to a large area of red, with pus in the center and red streaking running down my leg. I was treated with 10 days of antibiotics and Prednisone. I improved rapidly over the course of a week and was totally healed in 2 weeks. I still have a scar though.

Comment from: Tartar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I got bit by a brown recluse about a month ago. I had terrible pain, redness, swelling, blisters. Then I had a hemolytic anemia reaction to the bite. My urine was a dark cloudy red. My whole body was yellow. I spent over a week in the hospital. They gave me four units of blood, IV antibiotics and steroids. I just had surgery on my arm last Friday. They removed all the dead areas of skin, but it was too deep to put a skin graft on yet. In two weeks to a month, I will get the skin graft put on. Beware of those spiders!

Comment from: cindo45, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was bitten on my thumb *IF YOU ARE BITEN DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.* My thumb doubled in size and numerous puss filled boils began popping up. I went to see a surgeon and he performed surgery the next morning. He sent me home with the thought that I could potentially lose my thumb because I had waited too long to see him and the venom had set in the bone. I have arthritis and my thumbs are a little crooked. HOWEVER, the thumb that was bitten now looks like the numeral seven. It actually bends that far over to the left now. The doctor said the spider probably had bitten me in or around the joint forcing a break in the mid joint. I didn't mention how painful this whole thing was too from the bite to post surgery. This has been a nightmare.

Comment from: Stephanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was bitten by a brown recluse a week ago. It started with a big red circle that itched like crazy, then started to sting and puff up. By morning it was bruised in the center and getting quite painful. I went to my doctor and she prescribed Keflex and prednisone. I read a lot about home remedies as well and started using activated carbon from the fish department at Walmart). I crushed it and added just enough water to make a paste. The Internet said to bandage the wound with this and change several times a day. I also read to take 50 mg of Benadryl four times a day. This makes me feel like a zombie but is has improved the bite drastically! I went back to the doctor on Friday for her to check it and she was amazed at how much better it looked. I go back Thursday, she said she to keep doing what I'm doing because it works! Just wanted to let everyone know about what has helped me, hoping it may help someone else. Thanks.

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?