Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 47 year old female, and today I arrived home from my 8 day stay at the hospital due to a brown recluse bite. I did not know what bit me. I originally thought it was a mosquito but then it began swelling. By the second day the area became inflamed and doubled in size. I went to ER and was sent home with oral antibiotics and told it would get better. The next day it looked like a raised tumor with streaks of redness running down my left buttocks. I phoned the doctor that treated me at the ER and they said to give the antibiotic a chance to work, and to ice it down. I began to feel fatigued and felt like I was dragging my left leg around. I continued to go to work and by Sunday, Nov.6th my wound opened in the center and turned black. Monday the 7th I went to a different hospital and was admitted and immediately started on serious IV antibiotics. I had surgery on Tuesday the 8th and the surgeon removed a significant amount of necrotic tissue and drained the wound. I now have a pretty large size open wound that will require daily wound cleaning and dressing. I will be out of work for at least three weeks or so until the wound closes up since it heals from the inside out. This was a horrible experience and I want others to know if they get a bite that does not start to heal, don't wait!!! Go to the hospital and insist on being seen by someone who is familiar with spider bites. I give many thanks to my surgeon and the infectious disease doctor who took great care of me and certainly educated me on these nasty spiders.

Comment from: concernedmom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My daughter was just bitten on Thursday at a home she was cleaning. She would not let anyone call me and tell me because she knew I would make her go to the doctor, which she hates to do, but I would not have stopped until she went. Anyway her aunt called me and told me. So my fiancee and I went to her home and her foot looked terrible. She had took a box cutter and tried to lance it herself. They then used the snakebite suction device that comes in the kit and she screamed like she was having labor pains. Oh my God, stuff came out of her foot that was terrible, then it just stopped and the pain was unbearable. Finally, I talked her in to going on to the emergency room at our local hospital. The doctor told her that absolutely no suction device should have been used. The doctor had to lance the wound and cut it to the bone to get out all of the infection. If you get bitten by one of these, go to the emergency room immediately.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was bit several times on my arm and legs. At first I had no clue what it had been, so my mom took me to the doctor. The doctor said it had been a brown recluse. And I had a major reaction to the bite. The doctor told me and my mom put goldenseal on it. After we did this the bites went down and my skin looked normal after 2 months.

Related Reading: goldenseal

Comment from: Eirugal, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 10

My brother was bitten by a brown recluse while doing field exercises with his platoon. He saw the spider on his gear and diagnosed the bite. When he sought medical attention at the Fort Hospital later the young doctor wrote it off as a zit. He was scheduled to fly to Chicago for leave and when he showed the bite to our MD aunt she took him to an emergency room and removed a golf ball size amount of necrotic tissue. One has to be one's own advocate in matters of medicine.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My Dr. identified my symptoms as being from a "venomous bite" and said there was nothing he could do to treat the bite and that he could only treat the symptoms, and that was optional. I was prescribed Prednisone and Benadryl was suggested, but again, he could only treat the symptoms. I asked twice about being prescribed an antibiotic, because of my concern for the swelling and inflammation. I was told antibiotics were not necessary. The area worsened, swelling and becoming extremely painful. On the 4th day, the area had burst open, at which time I went to the ER. I was given IV antibiotics and pain medication. The area was cleaned, a gauze dressing placed in the wound and the area was dressed. I was directed to schedule a follow up with a surgeon whose assistant treated me in the ER, and directed on how to dress the wound properly. The follow up was scheduled 4 days later, at which time I was sent directly to the hospital for an emergency surgical procedure to debris the wound of dead tissue and treat the staph infection. I was hospitalized from Thursday through Saturday. My concern is whether this was indeed a venomous bite or if it was misdiagnosed, actually being staph infection all along. I feel extremely angry, that a culture was not taken and my concern about being given antibiotics was brushed off by the original doctor. Incidentally, a blood test was performed during this visit to check my TSH level.

Related Reading: Prednisone

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

At first I thought I slept on my neck wrong, the pain I was feeling was terrible. But when I felt the back of my neck I felt a sore. I couldn't see for myself since the bite was on the back of my neck, but everyone who looked could see a trail of what appeared to be bite marks, and it did itch and then the pain started and it hurts badly. I went to the ER and the Doctor was awful! He said it is neck pain and under the same breath states yes you have infection. He didn't seem to care, really glad I went to the ER with no insurance just to have that done (he did nothing) he gave me antibiotics and pain medication. No tests were even done. So here I am still in pain and the sore doesn't look any better. It still itches, burns and appears to be crusting but yet not really healing. I am going to a different Doctor come Monday. I am very disappointed in the ER. All my research thus far on this spider it is nothing to take lightly.

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?