Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: Mammaduck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My mother was bitten and tried to treat it with antibiotics for 10 days. She ended up with a gaping hole in her leg that was continuing to grow. A friend had suggested a low voltage tazer gun as she had seen first-hand that it worked. We found a doctor that sold them for brown recluse bites and used it. The bite cleared up within two days and she hasn't had problems with it since.

Comment from: Lady Lepus, 55-64 Female Published: July 31

I applied ice packs for 2 days. This relieved the horrible itching/burning. I took Tylenol the first day only, with no antihistamine or other medication. My Tetanus was up to date.

Comment from: Willy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was bitten by a brown recluse twice in one night. Four days passed and the centers turned purple. The centers were about half the size of a pencil eraser, and caused no pain whatsoever. Two more days passed and the purple began to fade.

Comment from: HDcRaZyMaN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I was out fishing at night in a small boat when I saw a spider. I swiped it off me and into the water. About an hour later, it developed a lot of pus. The next day, I awake to find and infection on my hand all the way to my shoulder. My skin started eating away like an ulcer. I went to the ER and was rushed to surgery. The surgeons cut a three-inch-wide wound all the way down to the bone. The pain was unbearable. I was on heavy antibiotics and morphine every two hours.

Comment from: bhiiggy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My recluse bite started with a blood like blister and within hour it went from the size of a pen point to the size of half dollar! My hand was so painfully swollen, I could not use it. I went to hospital and they kept me the weekend and gave me antibiotics to help with swelling. Monday morning they escorted me to a wound specialist and immediately cleaned the wound and then put me in hyperbaric treatments. Ii had five days of two hour treatments plus the antibiotics. My treatments were able to restore vital tissue and blood cells to the impacted area.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 47 year old female, and today I arrived home from my 8 day stay at the hospital due to a brown recluse bite. I did not know what bit me. I originally thought it was a mosquito but then it began swelling. By the second day the area became inflamed and doubled in size. I went to ER and was sent home with oral antibiotics and told it would get better. The next day it looked like a raised tumor with streaks of redness running down my left buttocks. I phoned the doctor that treated me at the ER and they said to give the antibiotic a chance to work, and to ice it down. I began to feel fatigued and felt like I was dragging my left leg around. I continued to go to work and by Sunday, Nov.6th my wound opened in the center and turned black. Monday the 7th I went to a different hospital and was admitted and immediately started on serious IV antibiotics. I had surgery on Tuesday the 8th and the surgeon removed a significant amount of necrotic tissue and drained the wound. I now have a pretty large size open wound that will require daily wound cleaning and dressing. I will be out of work for at least three weeks or so until the wound closes up since it heals from the inside out. This was a horrible experience and I want others to know if they get a bite that does not start to heal, don't wait!!! Go to the hospital and insist on being seen by someone who is familiar with spider bites. I give many thanks to my surgeon and the infectious disease doctor who took great care of me and certainly educated me on these nasty spiders.

Comment from: concernedmom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My daughter was just bitten on Thursday at a home she was cleaning. She would not let anyone call me and tell me because she knew I would make her go to the doctor, which she hates to do, but I would not have stopped until she went. Anyway her aunt called me and told me. So my fiancee and I went to her home and her foot looked terrible. She had took a box cutter and tried to lance it herself. They then used the snakebite suction device that comes in the kit and she screamed like she was having labor pains. Oh my God, stuff came out of her foot that was terrible, then it just stopped and the pain was unbearable. Finally, I talked her in to going on to the emergency room at our local hospital. The doctor told her that absolutely no suction device should have been used. The doctor had to lance the wound and cut it to the bone to get out all of the infection. If you get bitten by one of these, go to the emergency room immediately.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was bit several times on my arm and legs. At first I had no clue what it had been, so my mom took me to the doctor. The doctor said it had been a brown recluse. And I had a major reaction to the bite. The doctor told me and my mom put goldenseal on it. After we did this the bites went down and my skin looked normal after 2 months.

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?