Viewer Comments: Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Treatment

What was the treatment for your brown recluse spider bite?

Comment from: jafoami, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I have a friend who was bitten by a brown recluse, and his doctor put him in a chamber breathing 100% oxygen, I don't know how long he was in the chamber, or if it was more than once, but he said the wound healed completely afterwards. I think I was bitten two days ago, and would like to NOT got through what some of you have.

Comment from: bdm, 45-54 Male Published: August 08

I was bitten two weeks ago. At first I didn't realize I was bitten until the following day. No real pain or discomfort. That evening it began to itch and I scratched it and a pustule popped and that's when the crater like circular wound began. It continuously filled with pus for 7 days and was the size of a dime. The first 3 days I simply washed with soap and water and had a bandage over it. I read on the internet to use hydrogen peroxide which helped speed up the healing process. I used this for the next five days, four times a day and at night used triple antibiotic ointment. Today is day 11 and my wound is almost complete healed. However it will take some time for the original skin color to return.

Comment from: lifah@abcglobal.net, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was bit by a brown recluse spider and did not know it. I was sleeping and I felt the sting. I thought it was a flea bite from my dog who sleeps with me but by morning, it was the size of a silver dollar and very painful. I went to the emergency room and the doctor told me it was a burn. He suggested I see a burn specialist. I knew I had not been burned. Then I saw a surgeon who performed three surgeries on my leg. Even though I had the surgeries, the venom continues to kill the tissue around the bite. What started out to be a silver dollar scar is now turning into a huge scar with deadening tissue still.

Comment from: c.g, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider while I was cleaning out a wood shed. At first it didn't hurt but as a day or two went by, it became a small wound the size of a quarter. It later became very painful and pus filled. My doctor put me on antibiotics and told me to come back to see him if there is no improvement.

Comment from: Whaler Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

The first physician seen was at a clinic while rather remotely away on vacation. She shot me with a double dose of anti-biotic(2 grams) and a prescription for Keflex. Upon return from vacation and immediately saw family physician. He sampled and promptly started me on a double-dose of sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS tablet. 2 pills 2x per day. His thinking was MERSA. I have since been told by many friends that it is a brown-recluse bite and they have had the same symptoms. I have been told of friends that had physicians cut large X's in order to drain the wound (very painful I am told), and others that did nothing but apply Neosporin. The wound starts small, like mosquito bite, and then progresses to a blood red circular band surrounding the wound, and then the wound gets deeper and full of pus. Next stage is a half golf ball shaped lump, still more pus. Then calf and foot swelled and medical attention sought. Total length of time from initial bite to begin the healing process, about 12-14 days. Still rather deep and raw at 14 days now though. Tests negative for MERSA.

Must Read Articles Related to Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite Black widow spider and brown recluse spider bites in the wilderness present a medical emergency. If bitten by either of these spiders, seek medical attention im...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite:

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Experience

What was your experience with brown recluse spider bite?