Viewer Comments: Spina Bifida - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spina Bifida:

Spina Bifida - Diagnosis

How was your child's spina bifida diagnosed?

Comment from: kimberley, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My daughter was born in Ontario Canada in 1975.she could not move from the neck down. She has a hole in the middle of her back and a large head with a shunt in it always blocking, club feet. I was 15 when she was born and I can remember the little pills the doctor gave me to take while pregnant. I didn't take them too lazy and just a kid. I told no one I was pregnant until I was 7 months along, so I didn't see a doctor the first 4 months. She died at 6 months old in Ottawa Ontario Canada. I hemorrhaged after the birth and could never have any more children. It was a sad life for all of us at that time. I did bring her home for 6 months before she died.

Comment from: Kjax39, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My son is 20 years old and has been having pain and loss of sensation in his legs. He had an MRI which has shown 2 prolapsed discs, degenerative disc disease and spina bifida.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I was in a car accident on the way to work one day. Several weeks later while in the ER for back pain the doctor pointed out to me in an x-ray that I had spina bifida. I wasn't aware of this till I was 21 years old. I did not appear to and has not seemed to have an impact on my life.

I was diagnosed when I was 19. As a child, I suffered a lot of pain which was ignored by my parents. I look at photos of me as a toddler and I resemble a bent banana. I have a dip in my lower back.

Comment from: mother of 3, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: March 12

I am 28 years old and I am pregnant with my 3rd child and I was told my baby has spina bifida and I was devastated but I am thinking positive I think everything will work out for the best. My two other children are fine. We have no family trace of it at all so this is a very random thing that is happening.

Comment from: MISDIAGNOSED, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

At the age of 25, I found out that I have spina bifida. I found out after a motor vehicle incident. I was never told by my mother that I had this disease and I'm having worse problems the older I get!

Comment from: nitedreamer, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My son is 18 and just joined the Army. They told him he was going home. His leg is numb and his back hurts badly. MRI was done he was told he had spina bifida.

Comment from: cbagwe, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son is 16 and his spina bfida was found when he was age four because of a BUN X-ray.

Comment from: vicky, 0-2 Female Published: April 07

My daughter-in-law has just been told her unborn baby girl has spina bifida. She is 20 weeks and is going to go full-term although she has been advised the baby will be severely disabled. We are devastated and do not know who to talk to.

Must Read Articles Related to Spina Bifida

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy Cerebral palsy (CP) is an umbrella term for a group of disorders affecting body movement, balance, and posture. Loosely translated, cerebral palsy means "brain ...learn more >>
Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus The brain and spinal cord are surrounded by a clear fluid called cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). This fluid is produced and stored in cavities in the brain called ve...learn more >>

Parenting Know-How: We've hand-picked our best pregnancy, baby and parenting content just for you