Viewer Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spinal Stenosis:

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

As I read the comments, I am crying. I have been diagnosed with lumbar stenosis and degenerative disc disease and deal with pain daily. Due to these conditions I have a lot of muscle imbalance issues, which within themselves cause a certain amount of pain. I too have been to everyone for help, one says surgery, one says no, one says I have fibro. I am managing life with 4 kids, business not to mention running a household with meds, but I know the current climate regarding pain management, it will come to an end. I don't sleep and I am borderline depressed. Inactivity is not the answer, as much motion as I can get in my back the better. To get this motion a certain amount of pain medication is necessary.

Comment from: bassmaster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I went to my family doctor for back pain and was told (after an x-ray) that it was arthritis and I will have to live with it. I then went to a neurologist and an MRI showed lumbar spinal stenosis and two discs (L-4, L-5) out of place. I did not want surgery so I went to a chiropractor and had traction for about six months. This resulted in the discs going back into place. As to the stenosis, I am living with it.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I was diagnosed five years ago with lumbar spinal stenosis. Also, around the same time, I was diagnosed with MS. I saw a doctor who started me on medications, and sent me for an MRI, which showed a narrowing of my spinal cord in my neck. Anyway, after many other treatments, today I got my first bilateral lumbar transforaminal treatment. I was very glad to find this site. It helped me understand a lot of things about my condition that I did not know before.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: February 16

I have just been diagnosed with stenosis of L4 and L5. I have had 2 previous surgeries for cervical stenosis, affecting c3, c4, c5, c6 and c7. I live with daily pain from the previous surgeries. By the end of almost every day, I have headaches that are so severe I cannot function. Now I am having difficulty walking and standing from pain because of the lumbar stenosis. I will put off surgery as long as I can, because I know from my previous experience and from others I have talked to, that when you have surgery you are only trading one type of pain for another. My advice to anyone who is thinking about surgery is DON'T DO IT unless the compression on your spinal cord is so severe you are in danger of permanent damage.

Comment from: katesback, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have lumbar stenosis and besides an always-aching back I experience cramp-like pain down the outer legs, sometimes off and on for days.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have spinal stenosis combined with scoliosis throughout my spine. I first was afraid of MS, but then found out that it was my spine that was giving me the problem. I have constant pain and have been in physical therapy off and on for the past 30 years. Everything I try works temporarily. What I can tell the person who must work behind a desk for 6+ hours, is put a heated cushion down for relief. I am on leave for surgery and am finding that I may have the problems that were caused by my spine, not my other limbs. This disease takes a lot out of you. You cannot sit, stand or walk for long periods of time. It gets worse with age. I do physical therapy, but it does not last for long. What is worse are orthopedic doctors who do not believe you even when they see the MRI.

Comment from: romeo.bello, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I am 39 yo and suffering from pain and numbness in the feet, leg, thigh and groin. It is hard for me to walk up to 200 meters. It's difficult for me to sit in a chair for a long period of time. It affects me in my work so much because I am always in front of a computer, sitting for as long as 6 to 7 hours a day. I need help.

Comment from: McBerk, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 02

Lunbar spinal stenosis: While I have tingling and numbness of the lower extremities and occasional disruption of normal bowel movements, the presence of erectile dysfunction stands out as the one complaint I receive, with no successful assistance. Medications fail to help. I'm 79 and I take physical therapy and I workout four times a week.

Comment from: mercedes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have lumbar spinal stenosis and was just involved in a rear end vehicle collision, was in passengers seat and a hummer rear ended us on the right back totaling the car. Now I'm in real bad pain this was 1 week ago.

Must Read Articles Related to Spinal Stenosis

Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda Equina Syndrome Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that involves severe compression and inflammation of the nerves in the the lower spine. Cauda equina syndrome requires emer...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Lumbar Laminectomy
Lumbar Laminectomy A lumbar laminectomy is removal or most of the bony arch of a vertebra. Risks include nerve damage, bleeding, infection, and blood clots.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spinal Stenosis:

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What was the treatment for your lumbar spinal stenosis?