Viewer Comments: Spinal Tap - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spinal Tap:

Spinal Tap - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a spinal tap?

Comment from: Vickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

My neurologist suspects I have MS and wants to do a spinal tap to be sure.

Comment from: mom in misery, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have Sjogren's syndrome and am having frequent headaches behind right eye as well as feeling of bugs crawling up legs, and a disturbance with my speech. My MRI came back okay, but my doctor is covering all bases to rule out MS.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am being tested to see if I have Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Comment from: apatt, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had a spinal tap after I had had double vision along with headaches and eye pain. I had swollen optic nerves caused by pressure in my spinal fluid they are currently testing for a tumor caused by fluid buildup and weight now the tumor can go away with weight loss and water pills.

Comment from: vixi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I needed a lumbar puncture as the doctors believed I had intracranial hypertension.

Comment from: MSer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have all the classic signs of having MS. My doctor is just covering all the bases and being thorough.

Comment from: bosoxfan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Doctors are combining a spinal tap with an MRI to see if there is a cancer in my body that is causing a retinal inflammation.

Comment from: Not now!, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I went to my eye doctor for eye exam because I had slight pain in my right eye when looking side to side. The doctor said, “Your right optical nerve is swollen. You need to go to the hospital right away.” The neurologist had orders waiting for CT scan and later an MRI. Still wanting answers, they said to come in next day for a spinal tap. My doctor suspects MS.

Comment from: lystra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I needed a spinal tap because the doctor suspected meningitis.

Comment from: Scooter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

Three years ago I went to the hospital due to a severe headache. After the CT scan showed nothing the ER felt a spinal tap was necessary ASAP. No anesthesia was administered, as it needed to be performed immediately (so I was told). I don't recall actual testing as my head hurt so badly. I woke up a week later in ICU. Then spent the next 27 days on the stroke floor, followed by another 300 days of rehab. Learning to walk, talk, speak, write, and drive all over. Shouldn't happen at age 45, but that's life. When you least expect it, expect it! Bottom line was a 3.6 cm x 3.6 cm clot (DVT) to my brain. I still suffer from headaches, memory loss, mood swings, and seizures. I had another stroke a few months ago. The whole left side was paralyzed for ten days.

Must Read Articles Related to Spinal Tap

Brain Infection
Brain Infection Our brain, the spinal cord, and its surrounding structures could become infected by a large spectrum of germs (that is, microorganisms). Bacteria and viruses ar...learn more >>
Encephalitis
Encephalitis Encephalitis is an acute infection and inflammation of the brain itself. This is in contrast to meningitis, which is an inflammation of the layers covering the ...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>