Viewer Comments: Spinal Tap - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spinal Tap:

Spinal Tap - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a spinal tap?

Comment from: Ouch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri, which means I have symptoms of a brain tumor without the tumor to take out. I received a spinal tap to relieve the swelling in my head. During the procedure, it felt like my eyes were going to pop out and my head was on fire, not to mention the needle in my back. I was released from the hospital 24 hours after the tap, but still had major headaches. It is now two days after the tap and I cannot even go take a quick bath without my head burning. I have to stay lying down. The Motrin I was given doesn't touch this pain. I guess I'll wait until I can get up without pain.

Comment from: am, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have a spinal cord injury that showed up between two MRIs. I had an MRI in 2011 with no cord injury, then again in 2012, which then showed spinal cord Injury. My doctor wants a spinal tap done to rule out MS.

Comment from: wonka, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had a spinal tap for my hip replacement. I have lung problems and this was used to avoid anesthesia for the surgery. I have a fungal disease and micro-bacterial disease in my lungs. The micro-bacterial disease requires three strong meds for one year to clear up. It is in the tuberculosis family but not contagious.

Comment from: Larry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

A pituitary tumor removal was the cause of me needing a spinal tap.

Comment from: Still a Puzzle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had nine previous spinal taps because of severe headaches that never stop. We were trying and still are, to figure out what it is from. I had slightly elevated pressure in my head. I lost 35 lbs in 3 months. Now I don't need the medicine anymore, my pressure on the today's spinal tap was normal. Spinal taps can be a useful diagnostic tool. They are painful though, and not something to look forward to.

Comment from: Spierre92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

It was used to diagnose me with multiple sclerosis.

Comment from: bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I needed a spinal tap to check for hydroencephalitis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My doctor thinks I may be suffering from MS.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: April 02

I've had three mini strokes within a month. I've been tested for anything and everything. Everything has checked out fine. The next step is a spinal tap. All the doctors are baffled because I have no underlying symptoms.

Comment from: pamp49, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am having constant migraine headaches and chronic neck pain.

Comment from: bowlingnanny19@aol.c, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My granddaughter has unexplained seizures and they did a spinal tap on her last night.

Published: December 13

I went to the ER for a severe headache and nausea. The doctor performed a spinal tap to test for meningitis.

Comment from: Vickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

My neurologist suspects I have MS and wants to do a spinal tap to be sure.

Must Read Articles Related to Spinal Tap

Brain Infection
Brain Infection Our brain, the spinal cord, and its surrounding structures could become infected by a large spectrum of germs (that is, microorganisms). Bacteria and viruses ar...learn more >>
Encephalitis
Encephalitis Encephalitis is an acute infection and inflammation of the brain itself. This is in contrast to meningitis, which is an inflammation of the layers covering the ...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>