Font Size

Sporotrichosis (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

When to call the doctor

  • If a person thinks they might have sporotrichosis, they should see a doctor about diagnosis and treatment.
  • If someone is already being treated for sporotrichosis, they should contact a doctor if new sores develop or if the old ones appear to be growing, immediately if they have a weakened immune system.

When to go to the hospital

  • Sporotrichosis in the skin or lymph nodes should not be dangerous or life threatening.
  • Open ulcers can become infected with bacteria and may cause a secondary bacterial infection.
  • If a rapidly expanding area of redness, pain, and warmth around the original ulcers develops, a person should go to a hospital's emergency department for diagnosis.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/9/2014

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Sporotrichosis »

Sporotrichosis is a subacute or chronic infection caused by the soil fungus Sporothrix schenckii.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary