Sprains and Strains (cont.)
Risk Factors for Sprains and Strains
Anyone can get a sprain or strain, however some people may be at higher risk, including the following people:
- Jumping sports (for example, basketball, volleyball) carry a higher risk of foot, knee, and ankle strains and sprains.
- Gymnastics, tennis, golf carry higher a risk of hand, wrist, and elbow strains and sprains.
- Contact sports (for example, hockey, football) carry a higher risk of sprains and strains of any type.
- Endurance sports (for example, running, triathlon) carry a higher risk of strains from overuse.
- Those with a history of prior sprains or strains
- People who are overweight
- People who are starting physical activity or exercise programs for the first time
- People with neurologic problems or balance disorders may be at higher risk for strain and sprain injuries from falling.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/5/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Sprains and Strains
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon, or tendon calcaneus, is a large ropelike band of fibrous tissue in the back of the ankle that connects the powerful calf muscles to the hee...learn more >>
There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sprains and Strains: