Sprains and Strains (cont.)
Prevention of Sprains and Strains
It is possible to prevent many sprains and strains from occurring. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests the following to help reduce one's injury risk:
- Participate in a conditioning program to build muscle strength.
- Do stretching exercises daily.
- Always wear properly fitting shoes.
- Nourish the muscles by eating a well-balanced diet.
- Warm up before any sports activity, including practice.
- Use or wear protective equipment appropriate for that sport.
In addition to the above suggestions, prevent future sprains and strains by
- maintaining a healthy weight;
- wearing proper-fitting shoes, designed for the specific activity;
- keeping household areas safe to prevent falls;
- not participating in sports or exercise if overly tired or in pain.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. "Sprains and Strains: What's the Difference?" Oct. 2007.<http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00111>.
American College of Sports Medicine. "Sprains, Strains and Tears." <http://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/sprains-strains-and-tears.pdf>.
United States. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. "Questions and Answers About Sprains and Strains." July 2012. <http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Sprains_Strains/default.asp>.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/5/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Sprains and Strains
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon, or tendon calcaneus, is a large ropelike band of fibrous tissue in the back of the ankle that connects the powerful calf muscles to the hee...learn more >>
There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sprains and Strains: