Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection):

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Comment from: Spoonman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

On Sunday June 26, 2016 I stepped out of my garden and a 25 lb garden brick fell on my lower right leg and scraped the skin off pretty badly. I was already on medications from the dentist so I figured it would be fine. Now a week later it is majorly infected with MRSA/staph. Now my medical doctor has me on two different antibiotics. It is very painful. I go back to see him on July 12 to see if I will need to be admitted into the hospital or not. This is some serious stuff! All I can do now is hope that my leg heals!

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 03

I am the caregiver to my husband, who is fighting pancreatic cancer and heart problems. Two weeks ago I awoke with what I thought was a bite on my torso at my rib cage. When my husband saw it he thought it was a boil, but I put tea tree oil on it and thought it would dry up. In a week it began to drain, with a bloody pus, and eventually dried up. But, two days later, it again filled with pus, turned red and burned. Being Memorial Day weekend, I decided to go to the doctor, instead of suffer for another 4 days. She lanced it and sent a culture off for diagnosis. At that time she put me on Keflex Pulvule 500 MG. The next Tuesday, she emailed me telling me I had Staphylococcus epidermidis and that the Keflex would not work, she was putting me on doxycycline hyclate 100 MG for the next 10 days. I have no idea how I picked this up, but consider myself very lucky I went to the doctor when I did.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had diagnosed staph 3 times. Two were MRSA. First time I was 5, living in Florida. Running around barefoot, I stepped on a sand spur, and next day my foot was swollen, red, and hot to touch and hurt. Third day I had boils on my leg. I was placed in hospital where I was given IV antibiotics and they lanced and drained the boils twice a day. Yes, all 11 boils and cut out the infected area on my arch. Second time was a dog bite on my left hand at age 50. I'm a nurse, so of course I doctored it myself. It happened on a Sunday. By Friday my hand was inflamed, and oozing pus from the two puncture wounds on my hand. I had been soaking in hot water with Clorox added, pouring peroxide on wounds and rubbing antibiotic ointment on, along with oral antibiotic. Didn't help. On my way to work, went by my doctor for oral medicines, she gave me a shot, and sent me to a hand specialist at Urgent Care. They of course decided I should go to emergency department. So I was in hospital for 8 days. I had IV antibiotics, and three hand surgeries to open up and clean wound. Those hand wounds are so painful, and I was on pain medicines round the clock. Finally I got to go home. Third time I received a scratch on my right shin. Two days later I had staph infection. I had oral and ointment antibiotics. But I was wise, finally, I went to the doctor as soon as it developed heat and started oozing. Lo and behold, I am heading to the doctor this afternoon. My dog got me with her tooth when I was starting her IV fluids. Yep, right on my ring finger on right hand. I have been on oral and ointment antibiotics since it happened, but it is starting to get worse. I'm beginning to think some people are more prone to staph infection and MRSA than others and I must be one. I'm a clean person with clean surroundings and a healthy lifestyle.

Comment from: SandyM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have a staph infection in my nose. I went to urgent care yesterday after waking up with painful swelling. I just took my 3rd pill of Bactrim (2 a day for 7 days). Today I am more swollen and the pain is horrible. I am hoping that someone can tell me when this pain will subside. I can't stand it. Norco doesn't even help.

Comment from: ninjakitty, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I currently have blisters and a bright red rash from a staph infection. I haven't slept in over 24 hours because of the itching and burning. It is worse at night despite Benadryl and a prescription strength antihistamine. The clindamycin makes it worse as well as gives me nausea.

Comment from: babydoll, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

About a year ago my husband was on training for the military and had got a spider bite. The next day I had to take my husband to the emergency due to the spider bite on his right index finger. Well, the emergency room (ER) doctor lanced it and gave some antibiotics. The next day we were back home and he was again in pain. The pain medications weren't working. So I took him to the military hospital and they sent him home with stronger pain medications and told him to keep taking his antibiotics. Again the pain medications didn't help so for a second time I took him to the military hospital and they admitted him and put him in a room. Then a few hours later the doctor gave him an appointment on Thursday for the orthopedic doctor to have him scheduled for surgery. We went home with our two children, to my husband on the floor in pain. This time I took him to a civilian hospital to find out that it was MRSA. Tuesday the ER doctor just looked at his finger and told us they're scheduling him for surgery that day. He had to have surgery 2 times within a week to get rid of the infection and also with strong antibiotics. Luckily they saved his finger. MRSA is no joke. Any form of infection is no joke. If you think you have it please go get seen. Because you never know what could happen.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>
Epiglottitis
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include:
  • infectious,
  • traumatic, and...
learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. learn more >>

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?