Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection):

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Comment from: babydoll, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

About a year ago my husband was on training for the military and had got a spider bite. The next day I had to take my husband to the emergency due to the spider bite on his right index finger. Well, the emergency room (ER) doctor lanced it and gave some antibiotics. The next day we were back home and he was again in pain. The pain medications weren't working. So I took him to the military hospital and they sent him home with stronger pain medications and told him to keep taking his antibiotics. Again the pain medications didn't help so for a second time I took him to the military hospital and they admitted him and put him in a room. Then a few hours later the doctor gave him an appointment on Thursday for the orthopedic doctor to have him scheduled for surgery. We went home with our two children, to my husband on the floor in pain. This time I took him to a civilian hospital to find out that it was MRSA. Tuesday the ER doctor just looked at his finger and told us they're scheduling him for surgery that day. He had to have surgery 2 times within a week to get rid of the infection and also with strong antibiotics. Luckily they saved his finger. MRSA is no joke. Any form of infection is no joke. If you think you have it please go get seen. Because you never know what could happen.

Comment from: liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have a very tender boil with no pus the size of a dime in my inner thigh. I had a few papules on my belly. I am a very clean person. I'm wondering how I could have developed this.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I got some bug bites and of course they started itching. After two weeks I noticed an area about the size of a quarter with big blisters. The next morning I went into the doctor's office and they told me it was staph. All the smaller blisters have popped out all around and the big blister and angry red. I was put on antibiotics and given a cream to use.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. Life-threatening skin rashes...learn more >>

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?