Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I am a healthcare worker and a MRSA (methicillin-resistant staph aureus) carrier. I have worked in hospitals, nursing homes and clinics for almost 20 years. I do not know when I got MRSA and did not find out until I had to have a minor infection lanced at the doctor's office and it was cultured. The culture grew out MRSA. I was immediately put on antibiotics. Two weeks later I had a nasal swab for MRSA and it was still positive for MRSA. My doctor said there was no point in giving me a lot of antibiotics for it since I had no symptoms (by this time the original infection had healed) and my immune system kept it in check. I have to be very meticulous about hand-washing, though, and cleanliness, especially around patients. If I touch my face, I have to wash my hands immediately afterwards. I double glove all the time. I wear a mask much of the time, although MRSA is spread by contact and not by breathing on someone. I don't want to be responsible for spreading it to my patients. The last statistic I read was that about 40% of healthcare workers are MRSA carriers; that is, they have it, as I do, but do not have symptoms. I hope it never becomes active.

Comment from: Young Guy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My 20 year old son went in for varicose veins on one leg to be repaired. Four days later, he had pain, severe pain, and went to the emergency room, where they said it was just inflammation. They gave him medication sent him home. In the following days, he was still in pain, and he went back to the emergency room, where they said it's infected and gave him more medication, instructing him to come back to ER every 8 hours. I finally demanded a doctor. After the doctor looked at him, he told me that my son was not going home and that he needed to stay in hospital. Four weeks and 5 operations later, he still is in hospital with a high fever, huge ulcerated skin on his leg, three inches in diameter, with two tubes out of his groin area. He is very depressed worried he will lose leg. He is on all sorts of antibiotics, and he had to have his lungs drained due to fluid in them. Five times they have debrided areas of his leg. Last one they hope they got the infection under his knee in a crevice. This is serious stuff.

My symptoms started after laporoscopic surgery I delveloped what I was told a skin yeast infection given a topical ointment and I would be fine three weeks later the infection near one of the portal inscisions healed, but I started feeling very ill. I could not keep food down or in, I then went to my family Dr. told him I was having severe pain, could not eat w/o getting physically ill, I was having terrible lower abdominal pain and I was tired, I just ached all over, he questioned if I had a drug problem, I wanted to scream. For the next month and a half I was on a strict regimine of bananas, jello, and some days I could tolerate toast, and water. Then I noticed a pimple on my face, I attempted to pop it with no luck the next day that area of my face was slightly swollen, being a holiday I just hot packed it, and could not get enough sleep. The following morning I awoke to half of my face swollen four times it actual size I could barely talked I again went to the Dr. Another physician in the office put me on antibiotics and refered me to a plastic surgeon to have the area lanced. I had it lanced and drain put in on wednesday and now four days later it is still there. I have carefully cleaned dressed and redressed the site numerous times everyday, I finally started to feel better and actually ate real food today with no stomach problems. However, I noticed another pimple inside my vaginal area and now I have an active infection there as well. I go tomorrow to hopefully have drain in my face removed and the vaginal area checked, I have been in contact with both Dr. today and they have already told me I may end up in the hospital.

Comment from: tinkerdale1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

It may be still continuing four years later! The staph infection invaded my spinal cord where they say it is VERYI HARD to get rid of. I am due for another MRI now and will get within the next week or so. Before I was diagnosed my staph began with a surgery in Jan 2006 and was not diagnosed until November (Thanksgiving) 2006.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. Life-threatening skin rashes...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?