Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection):

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?

Published: December 27

I had knee replacement surgery and eight months later developed swelling in the knee and could barely bend the knee. I went to the doctor and he did some tests and I was in surgery three days later. CDC was called in and I had four different staph infections. The knee was opened and treated (back to the pain and therapy as if I just had the knee implant) also eight weeks of very strong antibiotics. The problem may still be there, I wouldn't know until test after the antibiotic treatment is done.

Comment from: hipchic52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had an itch on my upper back, between my shoulder blades, scratched it. I didn't think much about it, until two days later when a bump appeared, and just 24 hours later that bump was about an inch in diameter and very swollen, and painful. I had a high fever, when I tried to get into bed I passed out on the floor and didn't come to until 6 hours later. I called a friend who rushed over and took me to the ER. The injection into the bump, to numb the area, was extremely painful, however, I didn't feel anything when the doctor cut into it and drained it. I was told it was a staph infection, and I told the doctor I had the same kinds of huge bumps, 5 of them, come up in my right armpit six months earlier.

Comment from: discouraged in fl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am 46, healthy female who has had several "abscess" outbreaks on my forehead over the course of two years. With this most recent outbreak, I had a culture taken and it confirmed MRSA. I was put on 2 types of antibiotics which cleared up the abscess but am now so fearful of a recurrence.

Comment from: cind, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Well my staph infection has flared up again. It's been going on for years. I also have a blood disorder which makes it more difficult to fight infection. I have about four cysts in my vaginal area and one under my arm. OUCH! Normally I get treated with oral antibiotics and if that doesn't work then I get IV antibiotics. Because I have had so many antibiotics most of them are ineffective.

Comment from: still hoping, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I have a staph infection in my prostate gland and I'm being treated with antibiotics. I am really frustrated. It all started after a biopsy on my prostate.

Comment from: RLH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been diagnosed with a staph infection in both of my ear canals. I have flaking, itching and drainage coming from both ears. A swab was taken on my last visit to my doctor, and I was told it was a staph infection. The antibiotics I have been prescribed have had little to no effect.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Epiglottitis
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. learn more >>

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?