Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?

Comment from: ansewon, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My brother had staph four years ago. The doctor cut a hole in him the size of his fist and gave him medication. He said he had done all he could do. He could hardly walk as he was in so much pain. I cleaned the area and washed it in peroxide. Then I made a paste of turmeric. I packed it and he kept it clean for three days with no wrapping. He took turmeric tablets by mouth and began to heal within three to four days. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had a infected sebaceous cyst on my back. and they removed the cyst by cutting it out in the urgent care office. Also I was put on antibiotics and told to not cover the wound and leave it open to the air and to wash it with soap and water. It is still swollen and the area is very red and I am still sore and in pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

This week had a boil in my armpit incised and drained and received the results of a moderate staph infection. I have also had ongoing boils in the genital region for years but nothing as bad as the boil beneath my arm. Dr. prescribed 5 day treatment with Cephalexin. These boils are ugly and hope they'll be manageable in the future.

Comment from: SarahP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I got my staph infection as a freshman in high school when it broke out within my school's sports teams. I was infected in my underarm, which made it extremely painful to lift my arm or to put clothes on. It would drain constantly and always immediately grow back. I had it lanced, but the boil quickly returned. I ended up having to get surgery on it several months later. It seemed to subside (I was told by the hospital that it had turned into a form of acne and would go away on its own, which still makes no sense to me), and now three years later it has returned and is more painful than ever, coupled with a fever. I am going to take care of it but I want to know when this is going to end.

Published: December 27

I had knee replacement surgery and eight months later developed swelling in the knee and could barely bend the knee. I went to the doctor and he did some tests and I was in surgery three days later. CDC was called in and I had four different staph infections. The knee was opened and treated (back to the pain and therapy as if I just had the knee implant) also eight weeks of very strong antibiotics. The problem may still be there, I wouldn't know until test after the antibiotic treatment is done.

Comment from: hipchic52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had an itch on my upper back, between my shoulder blades, scratched it. I didn't think much about it, until two days later when a bump appeared, and just 24 hours later that bump was about an inch in diameter and very swollen, and painful. I had a high fever, when I tried to get into bed I passed out on the floor and didn't come to until 6 hours later. I called a friend who rushed over and took me to the ER. The injection into the bump, to numb the area, was extremely painful, however, I didn't feel anything when the doctor cut into it and drained it. I was told it was a staph infection, and I told the doctor I had the same kinds of huge bumps, 5 of them, come up in my right armpit six months earlier.

Comment from: discouraged in fl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am 46, healthy female who has had several "abscess" outbreaks on my forehead over the course of two years. With this most recent outbreak, I had a culture taken and it confirmed MRSA. I was put on 2 types of antibiotics which cleared up the abscess but am now so fearful of a recurrence.

Comment from: cind, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Well my staph infection has flared up again. It's been going on for years. I also have a blood disorder which makes it more difficult to fight infection. I have about four cysts in my vaginal area and one under my arm. OUCH! Normally I get treated with oral antibiotics and if that doesn't work then I get IV antibiotics. Because I have had so many antibiotics most of them are ineffective.

Comment from: still hoping, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I have a staph infection in my prostate gland and I'm being treated with antibiotics. I am really frustrated. It all started after a biopsy on my prostate.

Comment from: RLH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been diagnosed with a staph infection in both of my ear canals. I have flaking, itching and drainage coming from both ears. A swab was taken on my last visit to my doctor, and I was told it was a staph infection. The antibiotics I have been prescribed have had little to no effect.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Epiglottitis
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. Life-threatening skin rashes...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with staph infection.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?