Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?

Comment from: Karmel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I got Staphylococcus aureus in 2005 after surgery on foot. Then it came back in 2011 and now June 2015. I was in hospital 10 days with IV cephalexin antibiotic. Now I am home with an IV line 1,000 mg per day for 5 weeks then will be on oral antibiotic Keflex for 6 to 12 weeks. I tried bathing it in frankincense 10 drops and tea tree oil 10 drops and it responded well to that, however doctors said not to bathe it, but keep dry. I have just started a 5 day regimen of taking turmeric/curcumin 600 mg day.

Comment from: Abilene,TX, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My mother is currently in the hospital with a serious staph infection. This is her 2nd time in the hospital since Thanksgiving. It started with swelling of the knee and knee pain. It grew worse and we took her to emergency where they gave her pain medications and sent her home. We made an appointment with a specialist and took her to the Bone and Joint Clinic where they gave her a shot for inflammation and sent her home. A couple days later I was trying to move up her appointment due to severe pain and swelling and the doctor wouldn't call back or change the appointment to an earlier time. A couple of days later an ambulance was called as she could not get up to use the restroom. They finally decided it is staph and immediately operated on the knee. She stayed a few weeks and was sent to a nursing home for a few more weeks then was sent home with a clean bill of health. A couple of weeks later she was back in the hospital with staph in the other knee and another operation. She is still there. I am angry they kept sending her home and ignoring the signs of this and kept calling it arthritis. Now it is found to be in her heart valve and spine as well. Mom said today her first knee is swollen and red again and they gave her blood yesterday. I am worried if it is staph she may not make it this time. They can't seem to get rid of it even enough to get her walking or to go home. Her Medicaid will run out shortly for the hospital stay and not sure what will happen if they send her back to a nursing home. This is so serious. If you have redness and swelling in a joint get seen right away and if it gets worse go back again and again until someone treats you.

Comment from: ansewon, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My brother had staph four years ago. The doctor cut a hole in him the size of his fist and gave him medication. He said he had done all he could do. He could hardly walk as he was in so much pain. I cleaned the area and washed it in peroxide. Then I made a paste of turmeric. I packed it and he kept it clean for three days with no wrapping. He took turmeric tablets by mouth and began to heal within three to four days. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had a infected sebaceous cyst on my back. and they removed the cyst by cutting it out in the urgent care office. Also I was put on antibiotics and told to not cover the wound and leave it open to the air and to wash it with soap and water. It is still swollen and the area is very red and I am still sore and in pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

This week had a boil in my armpit incised and drained and received the results of a moderate staph infection. I have also had ongoing boils in the genital region for years but nothing as bad as the boil beneath my arm. Dr. prescribed 5 day treatment with Cephalexin. These boils are ugly and hope they'll be manageable in the future.

Comment from: SarahP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I got my staph infection as a freshman in high school when it broke out within my school's sports teams. I was infected in my underarm, which made it extremely painful to lift my arm or to put clothes on. It would drain constantly and always immediately grow back. I had it lanced, but the boil quickly returned. I ended up having to get surgery on it several months later. It seemed to subside (I was told by the hospital that it had turned into a form of acne and would go away on its own, which still makes no sense to me), and now three years later it has returned and is more painful than ever, coupled with a fever. I am going to take care of it but I want to know when this is going to end.

Published: December 27

I had knee replacement surgery and eight months later developed swelling in the knee and could barely bend the knee. I went to the doctor and he did some tests and I was in surgery three days later. CDC was called in and I had four different staph infections. The knee was opened and treated (back to the pain and therapy as if I just had the knee implant) also eight weeks of very strong antibiotics. The problem may still be there, I wouldn't know until test after the antibiotic treatment is done.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox Chickenpox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection that affects children. Most infections occur between the ages of 5-10 years and usually st...learn more >>
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. Life-threatening skin rashes...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection:

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?