Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?

Comment from: rhall, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My 15 year old son was stung 11 days ago in the water off Sanibel Island, Florida. He was in shin deep water and felt a piercing shock-like stab to the outside of his right ankle. It bled quite a bit and turned red right away. The redness started moving up his leg within a few minutes. He was in quite a bit of pain and had to be assisted to walk to a car for a quick ride to the local doctor. The doc immediately put his foot in very hot water and checked it for the barb. It bled again, but the pain lessened quickly after the hot water bath. He was given a large shot in his rump with antibiotics and sent home with oral antibiotics and pain meds. Eleven days later the location on his ankle is very "itchy" and a bit red. It is not infected, but just a bit sore. Being a 15 yr old boy he returned to the beach after we got home from the doctor. NO FEAR, but he is doing a better job shuffling his feet on the sandy bottom.

Published: April 10

I got stung in the top of my foot while I was in Mexico. The locals didn't know what to do for it -- they even sprayed Windex on it! Eventually, I couldn't stand the pain and someone called an ambulance. The clinic doctor gave me a shot of something for the pain and a prescription for something I couldn't read. When I returned home, my foot was still as big as a football and oozing from the wound, so I went to my family doctor. He is from the coast of Australia and had seen lots of sting ray injuries. He said the proper immediate treatment is to soak the injured limb in hot water.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I went to the ER where an immediate heat foot bath was begun. X-rays were done and antibiotics were prescribed.

Comment from: ThatHurtLikeSheet, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I was stung in my hand. I went to the hospital. Pain was severe. The nurse brought a pan of hot water for me to submerge my hand in. It greatly reduced the pain. I wish I had known the hot water reduced the pain as it took me about two hours to get to the hospital. I had the doctor check the wound real good to be sure none of the stinger was broken off in my hand. I had a friend who was stung and treated at the hospital then had to return a couple of days later to be admitted for four days after it became infected. Anyway, hot water, wound checked and cleaned well, a shot of morphine, and a prescription for antibiotics. I had my wife to drive me home and I was good to go!

Comment from: BoJan, 75 or over Female Published: January 24

My husband got stung through his fishing boot and was in quite a bit of pain. After reading your article, I had him put heat on it and almost immediately the pain was gone. Thanks.

Comment from: PP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was at the beach and the nearby restaurant put my foot in hot water with aloe. I still have a hard nodule by the puncture wound.

Comment from: RockMamma, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

I just got stung by a sting ray. Went to the hospital and they said "just put it in hot water." So with all the things you're saying in the article, the hospital acted like it was no big deal.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?