Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?

Comment from: Dnoto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Today I was stung by a stingray in Florida. I too thought I was bitten by a crab, but when the pain got so unbearable and my hand became numb, I knew something was not right. When I got back to the beach house I put ice on it and the pain got worse and I felt sick to my stomach and fainted. My husband called a medical clinic and they had him bring me right in. They soaked my foot in extremely hot water with Epsom salt. The doctor later extracted the barb from my foot and soaked it again. I received a Tetanus shot and was prescribed antibiotics and Zyrtec.

Comment from: VCD, Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was bitten by a sting ray. It has been a few months now, but I still have a wound. It still hurts when I walk quickly or run. I'm in Mumbai.

Comment from: Mgrmommee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was stung while wading in shallow bay waters near Panama City Beach, FL. I thought it was a sea urchin and treated the wound with benadryl and ice. It left a little slit on the top of my foot that bled a little and immediately I had a bright red rash running down my foot to my toes. It burned as if I had been scorched. 5 days later it started to swell and I had purple lines around it. Went to ER and had to have IV antibiotic drip and follow up regime of antibiotics and pain meds.

Comment from: martin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I got stung just below the ball of my left foot. I was swimming at Sunset Beach, CA. I was in terrific pain and limped back to shore and hailed the roving lifeguard, who advised soaking in hot water. He put bandage wrap on my ankle and drove me back to my car. He told me to blow heat from car heater on my foot while I drive home or to the medical clinic/ER. I chose to go home after stopping to get Motrin and taking 1200 mg to control the pain. I poured hot water on my ankle for half an hour to lessen the venom and to let the wound bleed out. It was very painful to do home hot water treatment but I think it has helped cure the sting and almost eliminate the venom. Three hours after the sting I feel almost no pain and my ankle has not swelled. I am keeping a fresh bandage on it and using ample anti-skeptics on wound. Now it's just wait and see.

Comment from: spudsmack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was stung today at Crystal Cove State Beach in Southern California on the bottom of my foot. I knew in an instant it was a stingray and I've never experienced such pain in my life. The lifeguards took me to their station and soaked my foot for about two hours in very hot water. After an inspection by the lifeguard he concluded the barb wasn't in my foot so I chose to treat it myself by washing and applying antibiotic ointment and hope it doesn't get infected.

Comment from: kit, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

Called a help nurse. At her advice, I soaked my foot in very hot water for 90 minutes, took Benadryl and Advil. After 90 minutes, I was over it all but the fatigue from the shock!

Comment from: DelMarSurfer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I got stung on my foot while I was surfing at Del Mar Sunday, which is just a little north of La Jolla. At first, I thought it was a crab bite. For treatment, I just put my foot in ice for a day, took a few aspirin and cried like a little girl. Two days later it is still a little swollen and it itches like mad. No big deal if you can take the pain.

Related Reading: aspirin

Comment from: rhall, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My 15 year old son was stung 11 days ago in the water off Sanibel Island, Florida. He was in shin deep water and felt a piercing shock-like stab to the outside of his right ankle. It bled quite a bit and turned red right away. The redness started moving up his leg within a few minutes. He was in quite a bit of pain and had to be assisted to walk to a car for a quick ride to the local doctor. The doc immediately put his foot in very hot water and checked it for the barb. It bled again, but the pain lessened quickly after the hot water bath. He was given a large shot in his rump with antibiotics and sent home with oral antibiotics and pain meds. Eleven days later the location on his ankle is very "itchy" and a bit red. It is not infected, but just a bit sore. Being a 15 yr old boy he returned to the beach after we got home from the doctor. NO FEAR, but he is doing a better job shuffling his feet on the sandy bottom.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?