Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?

Comment from: DrGreg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I was stung by stingray in my 5th finger 3 weeks ago while fishing (trying to remove hook). The pain was beyond anything I could have imagined. I went to urgent care and had minor surgery to remove spines, but pain did not stop even with the anesthesia, until hot water soaks (needed to soak for several hours). A week later it became very infected despite taking prophylactic antibiotics, and I had to be admitted to hospital to re-open the wound and get IV antibiotics. The finger and part of my hand has numbness and stinging pain. Skin is a blackish color as well.

Comment from: abc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was fishing and hooked a stingray and was stung on thumb while removing a hook. I had immediate severe pain, hand and then arm started getting numb and heavy. Pain continued up and under arm. Then started chest pain. I went to the hospital and was immediately seen though others had been waiting 4 hours. I was put in hot water, and given a shot of prednisone and antibiotics. I was sent home with antibiotics and Benadryl prescription. I had a tetanus shot a few months ago. Chest pain continued for several days and got severe 6 days later. I felt awful at work and then went to the emergency room. I had ok EKG, but they admitted me. I was given Benadryl and a small dose of morphine for pain. Body was very red and I was itching. I was released a few hours later. They said they thought it was a reaction to antibiotics with exposure to the sun. It is still hurting. It hasn't been 5 whole days yet!

Comment from: Traemanden, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I stepped on a stingray in Peru 10 days ago. At first I thought it was a crab or something biting after I felt movement under my foot. I rushed to the shore and found a 1 cm bleeding cut in the soft part below my ankle. I humped across the beach to find a shower and flushed it while letting it bleed, I guess half a cup of blood. An employee from the hotel had seen me humping over the beach and came with hot water and soap in which my foot soaked for 15 to 20 minutes. After that he gave me a cotton pad soaked in hydrogen peroxide for disinfection. Actually the H2O2 was the most painful part. After an hour sitting (was entertained by jumping humpback whales far out), the wound seemed closed and I was able to walk normally. Here 10 days later the skin is almost healed in the middle of a 1 inch pink spot, and I feel itching in all of the original cut (1 or 2 inches deep) and a little pain when pressing the area. I didn't get any tetanus or antibiotic shots.

Comment from: AndysMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was hit by stingray four days ago in Mexico. The pain was excruciating. The wound is 1 inch long by 1/8 inch deep, which is pretty bad. Hotel medics shot 6 ccs of lidocaine directly in the wound. I was then carried to the car and taken to Urgent Care. The doctor cleaned the wound, gave me more lidocaine and a shot of pain medicine in my butt. I got a tetanus shot also. I am taking amoxicillin as a precaution for secondary infection as long term health issues can occur. This is nothing to fool around with. I clean and dress the wound twice a day and no more beach or pool for me until it heals. A lot of people say soak the affected area in hot water, but I advise against this if the water is not clean as then you are soaking your open wound in dirty hot water. I suggest a trip to a medical clinic immediately. It has been four days and my foot is swollen and black and blue. The wound does not seem to be infected but I am watching it carefully.

Comment from: Emily R, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

In July I was in the water and suddenly something punctured my big toe and I first thought it was by a shell or maybe even a hook. Right away my foot swelled but I thought nothing, for your information I get very freaked out by doctors. I waited till the third day to go to the emergency room because the swelling and redness had not gone down and sure enough it was a stingray. The puncture hit my tendon in my foot, so right away they took me into surgery and removed the stinger as well as the venom. It was a horrible experience, all they gave me was Tylenol 3 and Neosporin. Long story short it's almost going to be nine months and I still have no feeling in my toe, the top of my foot still gets swollen and my skin is very dry and kind of turning black no matter how much I take care of my toe. Wonder if it usually take this long for a stingray injury to heal, or if there can still be something wrong. Or maybe there could still be venom. I'm really scared there is a chance I could lose my toe. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Comment from: Dnoto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Today I was stung by a stingray in Florida. I too thought I was bitten by a crab, but when the pain got so unbearable and my hand became numb, I knew something was not right. When I got back to the beach house I put ice on it and the pain got worse and I felt sick to my stomach and fainted. My husband called a medical clinic and they had him bring me right in. They soaked my foot in extremely hot water with Epsom salt. The doctor later extracted the barb from my foot and soaked it again. I received a Tetanus shot and was prescribed antibiotics and Zyrtec.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?