Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was stung by a sting ray on my heel, 10 days ago on the south coast of Australia. The pain is quite intense but the lifeguards cleaned and bandaged, I went home and it slowly improved with pain killers and time. The swelling has gone down and the pain and numbness just about gone. The wound is healing but it still oozes a haemoserous fluid every day. I didn't go to the doctor initially as it started to get better, but will go soon if it keeps oozing!

Comment from: Sting del Rey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Ten days ago I was stung/swiped on my right Achilles by a stingray while walking around a rock jetty at extreme low tide in Venice, California. The pain was so immediate and severe I thought it was a fish hook to the Achilles (which I insisted to the emergency room (ER) doctor). Warm water helped but it was three hours of pain until I received pain medications (Norco) and a tetanus shot (the pain was mostly gone following medications). The following three days, my ankle swelled to a cankle and bruised. In the past 2 days, the itching has increased and swelling has returned, looking and feeling like there's an infection. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor to get antibiotics.

Comment from: SurprisedSwimmer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I was swimming in chest-deep water off Long Beach, CA. I put my feet down on the bottom and must have stepped right on a ray. I yanked my feet back up immediately and swam to shore. I saw that I was bleeding from about a half-inch laceration on the side of my heel. I went to the lifeguard and was told it was the fourth stingray injury he had seen that day. He got me transported to Lifeguard HQ where I joined a group of other victims for that day. All of us had one foot stuck in mylar bags of extremely hot water. After about 45 minutes, I was able to take my foot out of the bag and walk around without much pain. The wound had stopped bleeding. My wife drove me home, and we cleaned the foot off and put antibiotic ointment and a bandage on the wound. The pain was mostly gone by bedtime. From what I've read in other stories, I must have been VERY lucky!

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was stung two years ago on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I am still suffering from numbness on my ankle! It was easily the most painful experience of my life and I have gone through childbirth!

Comment from: Mark, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

Reading through these posts it sounds nearly identical to my experience. Last week while on vacation, I was stung by a stingray in the heel while wade fishing. The pain from the venom was so intense I, too, couldn't think straight. I finally got to the ER an hour or so later and they soaked it in very hot water and prescribed me to penicillin for the next seven days. The tremendous swelling went down over the next six days, but then a week from the day I got stung my muscles and nerves in my foot were throbbing and sensitive. My pinky toe, the toe next to it, the outside of my foot, and the pads of my feet are extremely sensitive and I can't stand to wear a shoe on it. I went back to the doctor this past Monday and he put me on another round of antibiotics and a round of steroids. I also had the terrible itching on my foot days later. After reading these posts about nerve damage, it sounds like that might last for a while.

Comment from: I love palms, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I was struck on the inside of my foot while wading around 30th street on Isle of Palms. The pain built up for about 90 minutes. It was so intense, I actually had to start laughing at how ridiculously painful it was. My wife drove me to Nason Clinic in Mt. Pleasant. They took me right away and had a bucket of scalding hot water ready. The hot water brought immediate relief. I got a shot of morphine, toradol and tetanus and was on my way home. I was fine the next day with just some lingering stiffness, pins and needles and minor fatigue.

Comment from: sondrad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was stung a week ago in my foot. I had extreme pulsating pain for several hours.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I stepped directly on a stingray that punctured the bottom of my foot. I went to an emergency room immediately after. The care was not that good but it took care of the immediate problem. After 15 months I am still having problems with swelling. I tried a cortisone shot after 6 months but I only got temporary relief. It is extremely difficult to find medical professionals anywhere, even the southern coast of California, who really know how to treat this type of problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?