Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was stung two years ago on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I am still suffering from numbness on my ankle! It was easily the most painful experience of my life and I have gone through childbirth!

Comment from: Mark, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

Reading through these posts it sounds nearly identical to my experience. Last week while on vacation, I was stung by a stingray in the heel while wade fishing. The pain from the venom was so intense I, too, couldn't think straight. I finally got to the ER an hour or so later and they soaked it in very hot water and prescribed me to penicillin for the next seven days. The tremendous swelling went down over the next six days, but then a week from the day I got stung my muscles and nerves in my foot were throbbing and sensitive. My pinky toe, the toe next to it, the outside of my foot, and the pads of my feet are extremely sensitive and I can't stand to wear a shoe on it. I went back to the doctor this past Monday and he put me on another round of antibiotics and a round of steroids. I also had the terrible itching on my foot days later. After reading these posts about nerve damage, it sounds like that might last for a while.

Comment from: I love palms, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I was struck on the inside of my foot while wading around 30th street on Isle of Palms. The pain built up for about 90 minutes. It was so intense, I actually had to start laughing at how ridiculously painful it was. My wife drove me to Nason Clinic in Mt. Pleasant. They took me right away and had a bucket of scalding hot water ready. The hot water brought immediate relief. I got a shot of morphine, toradol and tetanus and was on my way home. I was fine the next day with just some lingering stiffness, pins and needles and minor fatigue.

Comment from: sondrad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was stung a week ago in my foot. I had extreme pulsating pain for several hours.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I stepped directly on a stingray that punctured the bottom of my foot. I went to an emergency room immediately after. The care was not that good but it took care of the immediate problem. After 15 months I am still having problems with swelling. I tried a cortisone shot after 6 months but I only got temporary relief. It is extremely difficult to find medical professionals anywhere, even the southern coast of California, who really know how to treat this type of problem.

Comment from: Bonne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My husband and I were in the Gulf of Mexico, about mid-shin deep when we noticed a sting ray swimming by us. While looking at that one I took a side-step and BAM! Another one that was hidden in the sand tagged the side of my foot and I went down. My first thought was, “Oh my gosh!” thinking a small shark had swum up when we were looking at the other ray and bit me. I guess I had been watching way too much Shark Week! I was bleeding profusely and had what looked to be a slight cut around a half inch long. I thought at first I would walk back to our condo, rinse it out, add a bandage and be back at the beach. About three minutes into that thought the pain hit and I went down. I could not even think because the pain was so intense. I have to say I have had two children and neck surgery and injections every three months into my neck for a disease I have in my back, but this pain made that stuff feel like a paper cut! Needless to say, I will never go into their home again. I have learned the utmost respect for these creatures. I learned the hard way and I wish no one else had to. Just an FYI also, we found out that mating season for stingrays in the Gulf of Mexico starts around October. If you're down that way, be careful!

Comment from: Bay St Louis MS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I was stung by a sting ray three years ago on my left ankle. The ankle is still stiff and numb. At the time of the accident, I immediately went to the hospital emergency room. I was on antibiotics for nine weeks.

Comment from: stinger dinger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was stung in the right foot over a year ago. I am still having problems with pain, soreness and stiffness.

Comment from: Vivalalida, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I was lanced by a ray on the coast of Kenya on the dorsum of my left foot. The stingray wound was infected with a plant pathogen called lasiodiphlodia thebromae. It was treated successfully using Vfend, which nearly finished me off. The last remnant of the ulcer disappeared, but the skin is still a bit rough over the healed wound. It's been a very nasty experience.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?