Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Comment from: Debra H, Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was just stung by a stingray on the side of my left foot by the bone below my pinky toe on Easter Sunday, in front of my little one. I tried to be strong and hold in the pain for 1 and 1/2 hours. At first I thought it was a crab but as the pain and swelling increased and I just wanted to pass out from the pain, my husband took me to the emergency room (ER). I had 7 days of antibiotics and pain medicines. I went back to Urgent Care a week later as my foot was still really swollen and hurting. I am back on 10 days of antibiotics and pain medicines. I can't get a shoe on and it looks red and swollen.

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I got stung on my hand on my index finger knuckle, and man, it was very painful. I did suck on it and spit out the blood for about a half hour. I washed thoroughly with soap and water. I have been fishing for 40 plus years and never had anything like this happen to me before. I was trying to take a hook out of a very small ray who a park service personnel said was a small bat ray and bat rays don't sting; wrong! Very hot water does relieve pain, better than 10 milligram Vicodin two times and 10 milligram valium once.

Comment from: Meghan4409, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

In August 2014 I went surfing with my brother in Sea Isle City, New Jersey and I was surfing. It felt like I stepped on a razor blade or a knife or I got stabbed by a thousand knifes I didn't know, and I was knee deep. I came in from surfing and my ankle was gushing blood so I called my mom over and she asked what happened and I had no idea. So 3 people on the beach had to carry me off the beach and my sister called the cops and they called the ambulance, and this old lady gave me some water because I was in so much pain and crying. My knee down to my ankle was killing me, the pain was so bad. When I got to the hospital they said I was stung by a stingray and then they put hot rags on it and it felt better but still hurt awfully so they took an x-ray and found nothing in my ankle, thank goodness. But they gave me an antibiotic and pain medications and I went home. Till this day when I wake up it still hurts and the bone is a little swollen so I might have to get it re-checked and get an MRI of the bone but I'm scared to go surfing again. They said it was a deep puncture wound.

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I was stung by a sting ray on my heel, 10 days ago on the south coast of Australia. The pain is quite intense but the lifeguards cleaned and bandaged, I went home and it slowly improved with pain killers and time. The swelling has gone down and the pain and numbness just about gone. The wound is healing but it still oozes a haemoserous fluid every day. I didn't go to the doctor initially as it started to get better, but will go soon if it keeps oozing!

Comment from: Sting del Rey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Ten days ago I was stung/swiped on my right Achilles by a stingray while walking around a rock jetty at extreme low tide in Venice, California. The pain was so immediate and severe I thought it was a fish hook to the Achilles (which I insisted to the emergency room (ER) doctor). Warm water helped but it was three hours of pain until I received pain medications (Norco) and a tetanus shot (the pain was mostly gone following medications). The following three days, my ankle swelled to a cankle and bruised. In the past 2 days, the itching has increased and swelling has returned, looking and feeling like there's an infection. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor to get antibiotics.

Comment from: SurprisedSwimmer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I was swimming in chest-deep water off Long Beach, CA. I put my feet down on the bottom and must have stepped right on a ray. I yanked my feet back up immediately and swam to shore. I saw that I was bleeding from about a half-inch laceration on the side of my heel. I went to the lifeguard and was told it was the fourth stingray injury he had seen that day. He got me transported to Lifeguard HQ where I joined a group of other victims for that day. All of us had one foot stuck in mylar bags of extremely hot water. After about 45 minutes, I was able to take my foot out of the bag and walk around without much pain. The wound had stopped bleeding. My wife drove me home, and we cleaned the foot off and put antibiotic ointment and a bandage on the wound. The pain was mostly gone by bedtime. From what I've read in other stories, I must have been VERY lucky!

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was stung two years ago on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I am still suffering from numbness on my ankle! It was easily the most painful experience of my life and I have gone through childbirth!

Comment from: Mark, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

Reading through these posts it sounds nearly identical to my experience. Last week while on vacation, I was stung by a stingray in the heel while wade fishing. The pain from the venom was so intense I, too, couldn't think straight. I finally got to the ER an hour or so later and they soaked it in very hot water and prescribed me to penicillin for the next seven days. The tremendous swelling went down over the next six days, but then a week from the day I got stung my muscles and nerves in my foot were throbbing and sensitive. My pinky toe, the toe next to it, the outside of my foot, and the pads of my feet are extremely sensitive and I can't stand to wear a shoe on it. I went back to the doctor this past Monday and he put me on another round of antibiotics and a round of steroids. I also had the terrible itching on my foot days later. After reading these posts about nerve damage, it sounds like that might last for a while.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?