Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Comment from: Shoulda_Shuffled, 45-54 Male Published: August 19

I got stung on left big toe and went to emergency department to make sure wound was clean. The doctor took vitals and X-rays to make sure barbs were not still in wound. I received pain medicine and antibiotic prescription. I soaked foot in hot water for next five hours.

Comment from: Blair W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I got stung on the heel by a stingray today at Myrtle Beach. It hurt so badly! I soaked my foot in really hot water for about half an hour because it provided relief. I took 2 Aleve, and started an antibiotic called Levaquin. I have to take it for seven days.

Comment from: mama_3girls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was stung on 7/29/11. I went immediately to an urgent care facility. They soaked my foot in hot water for an hour or so, which helped with the pain immensely. They took x-rays, looking for remaining barbs. There were none. I was given a tetanus shot and a one week prescription for antibiotics. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Comment from: Heather, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My 14 year old daughter was stung by a sting ray off the tip of Cape San Blas, FL in the gulf on July 20th. We were with a group and the captain of the boat tried to put hot water from the engine but it was only warm, not hot so it didn't help much. He pulled everybody in and we immediately left for the marina. When we got back I took her to the ER. They immediately got very hot water with soap in it and had her soak her foot. They gave her pain medicine (narcotic) and prescription for antibiotics. We came home on the 23rd and by the end of the next week her foot was worse...very swollen, red and weepy so I took her to her pediatrician. Her pediatrician changed the antibiotic, told her to soak her foot four times per day and put prescription antibiotic on the wound. She's been doing that for 4 days and has not seen a lot of improvement yet.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

The lifeguard soaked my foot in lukewarm water for 15 minutes and sent me on my way. I was in excruciating pain for 4 hours, even though I took ibuprofen.

Comment from: mayan1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was stung in Mexico. The life guard soaked my foot in hot water and ice water, alternating. Then she used a vinegar and water mix, which pulled all of the venom out.

Comment from: Ms. Boostrom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was stung about a year ago in the Sea of Cortes, accidentally stepped on a stingray. We were a long way from any medical care, but the trip guide knew to put my foot in very hot water, which relieved the excruciating pain and, other than being sore, I continued to enjoy my trip swimming with whale sharks. When I got back home, I had it x-rayed, nothing was in my foot and it never got infected, but a year later I am still in near-constant slight pain and tingling at the wound site. My doctor says it is because of nerve damage and may always be that way or it may eventually go away, am hoping for the latter!

Comment from: Hank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was stung on the left foot on 7/26/11 heel area while fishing in Port Aransas. I immediately went to the Rangers office and they suggested I have it X-Rayed. When I arrived at the doctor's office they gave me some hot water to put my foot in and it pretty much got rid of the pain. There was no barbs left in the wound, he prescribed me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. Today is 8/4/11 and I had to go back to doctor for more antibiotics because of itching and swelling and infection. If you could wear sandals all the time it would probably heal quicker. It seems like shoes or boots do not help the matter.

Comment from: dlorenscheit, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I was stung in the foot, but unaware that it was a sting ray. I continued to hobble around on the beach for awhile before heading back to take a shower. I took a hot shower and cleaned the area. I then put antibiotic ointment on the wound and covered it. 10 days passed and I noticed it wasn't getting any better, so I went to urgent care, they gave me some antibiotics. It has now been 17 days since the sting and the wound is still not healed. I will write back with more details of what's happened at a later date.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?