Viewer Comments: Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Comment from: sondrad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was stung a week ago in my foot. I had extreme pulsating pain for several hours.

Comment from: Bill, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I stepped directly on a stingray that punctured the bottom of my foot. I went to an emergency room immediately after. The care was not that good but it took care of the immediate problem. After 15 months I am still having problems with swelling. I tried a cortisone shot after 6 months but I only got temporary relief. It is extremely difficult to find medical professionals anywhere, even the southern coast of California, who really know how to treat this type of problem.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: Bonne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My husband and I were in the Gulf of Mexico, about mid-shin deep when we noticed a sting ray swimming by us. While looking at that one I took a side-step and BAM! Another one that was hidden in the sand tagged the side of my foot and I went down. My first thought was, “Oh my gosh!” thinking a small shark had swum up when we were looking at the other ray and bit me. I guess I had been watching way too much Shark Week! I was bleeding profusely and had what looked to be a slight cut around a half inch long. I thought at first I would walk back to our condo, rinse it out, add a bandage and be back at the beach. About three minutes into that thought the pain hit and I went down. I could not even think because the pain was so intense. I have to say I have had two children and neck surgery and injections every three months into my neck for a disease I have in my back, but this pain made that stuff feel like a paper cut! Needless to say, I will never go into their home again. I have learned the utmost respect for these creatures. I learned the hard way and I wish no one else had to. Just an FYI also, we found out that mating season for stingrays in the Gulf of Mexico starts around October. If you're down that way, be careful!

Comment from: Bay St Louis MS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I was stung by a sting ray three years ago on my left ankle. The ankle is still stiff and numb. At the time of the accident, I immediately went to the hospital emergency room. I was on antibiotics for nine weeks.

Comment from: stinger dinger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was stung in the right foot over a year ago. I am still having problems with pain, soreness and stiffness.

Comment from: Vivalalida, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I was lanced by a ray on the coast of Kenya on the dorsum of my left foot. The stingray wound was infected with a plant pathogen called lasiodiphlodia thebromae. It was treated successfully using Vfend, which nearly finished me off. The last remnant of the ulcer disappeared, but the skin is still a bit rough over the healed wound. It's been a very nasty experience.

Comment from: Me-chel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was stung by a stingray. My husband immediately took me to urgent care because I was in so much pain. They soaked it in hot water for almost two hours. The pain finally eased up. It was x-rayed to make sure the barb was not in there. I have been put on medication. We will see what happens.

Comment from: Cheryl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was stung on the big toe in Costa Rica. I was near an estuary where they apparently like to gather for mating season. I didn't know what it was and thought that perhaps it was a jelly fish sting. I had heard that urine could help disinfect and/or ease the pain, so my husband helped me out with that! LOL! Well needless to say that did nothing. I rinsed it in a beachside restaurant restroom sink. A waiter saw me hobbling around and in broken English he offered me vinegar! The pain was progressively getting worse and the puncture site was turning blue and swelling and spreading. The waiter/surfer said that I should get to a doctor because it could start to cause muscle cramps and worse. Well that scared me enough to go to a clinic. There they had me lie down and soak it in the hottest water that I could handle. At this point I was sweating profusely but the pain was subsiding a little. They bathed it in super hot water for about an hour and gave me some pain killer and antibiotics. I went back to the house and soaked it for another hour and then it was fine. It did take a long time to heal as I think it got a little infected. The area was tender for a few months probably due to nerve damage.

Must Read Articles Related to Stingray Injury

Stingray Sting
Wilderness: Stingray Sting Stingrays have flat bodies with long, slender tails that have serrated spines. Their serrated spines can cause lacerations (cuts) and puncture wounds. The spine...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury:

Stingray Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?