Strep Throat (cont.)
Strep Throat Self-Care and Home Remedies
In general, treatment at home consists of measures to control the pain and associated symptoms of strep throat. The vast majority of cases of strep throat can be managed at home, unless rare serious complications develop. Various home remedies and over-the-counter medications are useful in relieving the symptoms of strep throat.
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Because fever can increase fluid loss and painful swallowing can decrease fluid intake, measures must be taken to avoid dehydration. Choose high-quality fluids such as warm soup broth (which replaces both salt and water loss) and sugar-containing solutions (they help the body absorb the fluids more rapidly). Avoid caffeine because it can cause water loss. Sometimes cold beverages, Popsicles, and ice cream can be soothing and beneficial.
- Throat lozenges can sometimes provide temporary relief for a minor sore throat. Various formulations exist, though they are not recommended for young children, due to the possibility of the child aspirating the small lozenge. Gargling with salt water is also sometimes helpful; people may try mixing table salt (about 1 to 2 teaspoons) with warm water (about 8 oz) and gargling.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) pain medications. OTC pain medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) can be effective for reducing fever and providing pain control. Adequate pain control can also help with increasing fluid intake.
- Get extra sleep. Adequate rest and sleep can promote a more rapid recovery.
- Herbal teas. Herbal teas containing ingredients such as licorice may also provide significant pain relief.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/9/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat: