Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Comment from: johanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

II am an adult and I frequently get strep throat. It usually hits me all of a sudden and I need antibiotics to get better (my Dr usually gives me Azithromyocin 5 day tablet). It usually happens more frequently in winter and spring, but I've gotten it in the summer too. I notice it happens mostly with severe weather changes. For instance if it's a nice sunny day, then the weather drops dramatically by night fall-or if it's windy and cold-and I don't have a scarf on to protect my throat, I'll get sick. I tend to take a Theraflu if I feel it coming on the night before, by either my throat starting to hurt or my ear starting to hurt-sometimes that helps. And sleeping with a Halls in my mouth is not uncommon too. More often than not though this doesn't stop strep from coming on, and if I don't get antibiotics I won't get better. I think I just have a weak immune system in general (my white blood cell count is always below normal). And I notice that if I have Sinusitis and don't get treated for that right away, then strep throat usually follows. Either way, it's a terrible disease to have as an adult because since it's so uncommon, most people don't understand why you get sick so often (like your boss at work) and you can't help that you are so sensitive to it!

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

They did the rapid test and it was positive. I work with kids so I must have gotten it from one of them. I have swollen glands, painful swallowing, high fever and body aches.

Comment from: momof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

My friend drank my pop. She thought it was hers and I did not see her drink it until after I took a drink. She had red sores all over her mouth. She told me it was herpes and it wasn't contagious because she had it for two weeks already. The next day I developed the red sores and they were not cold sores or herpes. I developed a severe sore throat and I got white spots on the back of my throat and some on my mouth too. My doctor gave me antibiotics and pain relievers. That was the worst sore throat that I have had in a long time. My son also got a rash on his bum.

Comment from: Martin, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

My 14, almost 15 year old son, came home that late afternoon from a pool party. It was an end-of- year celebration with 6 or 7 friends. By bedtime he seemed to have a sore throat. The next morning at 10 I had him in to see the doctor. The throat swab tested positive for strep throat.

Comment from: CaliforniaNative, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

My symptoms were body aches, a slight fever and swollen lymph glands on one side. No real sore throat. Both sides of my neck ended up swollen. I knew that's not "normal" so I went to the weekend urgent care. The quick test said strep and now I'm on 10-day antibiotics. It is very interesting how symptoms can vary person to person.

Comment from: mom of 2, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My 12 year old was swabbed for strep after her school had a outbreak, the rapid strep was negative. She was only thirsty at night time and had a cough, no fever no symptoms. Her cough just seemed to stick around. After a week, of dealing with over the counter affects I took her back but was told it was a cold. 2 weeks later she was having arm pain that was excruciating. She was crying in pain. We took her to the children's hospital and they could not diagnose her with anything saying it was all in her head. As a mom, I was disagreeing saying this child has something wrong. She was seen by a neurologist and 12 doctors and nothing. She stayed at the hospital for 4 days in observation with morphine. She was finally released, but she came home with no answer. We took her back to her pediatrician and he recommended a blood test. We found out she had strep in the bloodstream and could have died. Her body was jerking and she was in pain still. She had a MRI and also X-rays because they thought she broke something. As it runs out, it was strep in the blood. She was so infected that she needed amoxicillin for 5 months. Strep is not mild it can affect your child's heart and be fatal if not caught.

My ten year old son has strep throat and is miserable! His doctor prescribed amoxicillin 400mg one teaspoon three times a day for ten days. I am also giving him children's Tylenol every four hours. Ice pops and ice chips also take the edge off.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?