Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: OhioRN, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

I never had strep throat until I reached my thirties. I had fatigue, chills, a hypersensitive gag reflex, nausea, and aversions to food and smells with terrible stomach pain. It was totally not fun and I think I have it again.

Comment from: sandrav0312, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had strep throat and instead of taking antibiotics which I'm allergic to, I did apple cider vinegar gargles. The first day I felt instant relieve from pain. You have to do the apple cider vinegar every waking hour on the hour though. Try 6 oz. distilled water, 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, mix them well together and do gargles with it one tbsp at a time. Remember do the same every hour and you will feel getting better right away. Remember to fully wash every item you use the bathroom. Wash with hot water and antibacterial soap.

Published: June 14

By the end of the day it hurt to swallow. I couldn't sleep that night. In the morning my head hurt too badly to stay sitting upright. I went into a walk-in clinic got a rapid strep test and it was positive. I have been in bed for two days.

Comment from: Zachel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

After suffering for nearly a week I found a routine that will keep the pain of strep throat at bay. A gargle of saltwater was helpful, followed by hot soup with a chilled fruit smoothie to drink. The combination of the hot and cold meal kept my throat from hurting for a good 4-6 hours (at the very least the pain was tolerable at the 4 hour mark).

Comment from: felipe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had this, which I caught from my daughter. At the same time I had the flu. The strep somehow got into my blood stream and got stuck in my right upper leg above my knee. My leg got swollen within 3 days to the point where I couldn't see my knee. The only way to have it removed was to have surgery because it embedded under my leg muscles. I was in the hospital for a week. And cost me 36 grand, but I'm walking now.

Comment from: Christian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I've had strep throat for the last 4 days. My throat is still sore, but what helps the most is popsicles, as they cool the throat and calm the coughing at night.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Had the worst sore throat I have ever had before. I have had tonsillitis before but that was nothing compared to this pain. Thought it was a bad cold, so didn't ring doctor, and I couldn't eat for 10 days. The only thing that helped was room temperature soda water. Then the fever started, hot and cold sweats. Then the runny nose. Then the skin started peeling off my fingers and hands. I felt like a leper! I tried getting into doctor, but it's usually a five-day wait, and I kept thinking, I would get better. Finally I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with not only strep infection, but also flu virus which has now developed into sinusitis. Doctor gave me severe lecture and his home phone to call if it ever occurred again and told me... I could have died!

Comment from: busymom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

2 nights ago I had slight pain in my left tonsil. When I woke up yesterday morning, I had a sore throat and I felt under the weather but did not think it was anything serious. I got worse by the minute. By the afternoon I had such severe sore throat that I'd rather spit out my saliva than swallow it. Splitting headache, horrible joint pain, tenderness on the side of the neck, fever, sweating, sensitive skin to the touch, ringing ears and they also felt "full". I felt like a truck went over me a couple of times. My chest, my stomach hurts as well. It seems that it is even worse when I lay down. I am light headed and weak, I don't feel like doing anything. I thought that the night will bring me some relief but I got worse by this morning. How can that be? :) I couldn't even swallow water. But what really helped is ice cream. Anything really cold. It gets much better after eating it. An hour ago I started on antibiotics and I am hoping it'll go away soon. Until then, plenty of ice cream. :))

Comment from: Sunshine9876, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I was just diagnosed with strep throat. I am 36 yrs of age and have never been diagnosed with strep throat. The symptoms of strep throat are strange. Saturday evening the left side of my throat started feeling very sensitive; almost like I had burned the left side of my throat. I could see that it was red but I felt good otherwise. I had no fever, no coughing or sneezing no body aches...I thought in a few days it would go away on its own. Wrong! Wednesday morning I could hardly swallow, the pain was intense. When I looked in the mirror I had this huge whit spot on the back of the left tonsil wall. I immediately called the doctor but could not get an appointment until next day. I decided to go to a walk in clinic and was diagnosed with strep throat. I am now on amoxicillin 500 mg 3 times a day for 10 days plus Advil for the pain. It is now day 6 of throat pain, however, day 3 on antibiotics, my throat still hurts and I still have the white patch on the back of my throat; left side only. The right side of my throat never hurt and never had the white patches on it...like I said in the beginning weird. I hope I never get strep throat again...very painful. The only thing that helps is to drink lots of fluids, eat lots of ice cream and rest your body.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?