Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: 7-12 Female Published: August 27

My 9 year old came home from school on Wednesday complaining that she felt sick in the belly. That night she felt hot to touch and she woke up through the night saying her throat was really sore and she needed a drink. I checked her temp and it was up, so I hit her with some Panadol which gave her a bit of relief because she finally went back to sleep. Next morning she did not move from the lounge, couldn't eat, barely drink and said her head was aching and her eyes were sore. We were lucky enough to get into the Doctor who said it was Strep throat and prescribed some Penicillin. Last night she had a better sleep but was scratching at her belly which had a bit of an itchy looking rash on it. Today is the third day and she has not had any Panadol at all and is looking and feeling much better, thank goodness.

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My husband is 43 years old and started having symptoms last Thursday 5 days ago. He went to the emergency room where they covered him with ice packs to lower the 103.5 temperature. Then they did a strep throat culture and it was positive. They sent him home with 500 mg penicillin for 10 days and Ibuprofen 800 mg for pain. Today is Monday and he is still very sick with sore throat, swollen glands, vomiting, nausea, no appetite and a fever of 102.3. We are about to go back to the emergency room cause we called our clinic and they said give the antibiotics more time. The emergency room discharge papers said if not feeling any better within 3 days to return to the ER, so that is what we are about to do.

Related Reading: Ibuprofen

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I began feeling a little bit of a sore throat on Sunday afternoon but wasn't concerned because a flu was going around. Monday I went to work and had to leave after 4 hours because of swelling and pain on the left side of my throat. I checked my temperature when I got home and it was 103.8. I began taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours for the next 2 days and could not get the fever any lower then 102. I had severe throat pain, earache, chills, joint pain, and vomiting. Finally on Wednesday afternoon I went to see a doctor. He took a swab and said it was strep throat. Prescribed penicillin and Tylenol 3. Today is Friday and I still have the earache and sore throat but at least the other symptoms are gone.

Comment from: grandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I woke up Monday morning with a sore throat and thought nothing of it. By 10 in the morning, I got the chills and could not get warm. By noon, the sore throat felt like a lump and the headache started...so I went home. I slept for the rest of the day and most of Tuesday. When I woke, I found that the pain was so severe I couldn't eat or drink anything, or talk and had difficulty breathing. I went to the doctor immediately who took a throat swab and gave me a prescription for a mouth rinse (gargle) to help numb the throat. After using it a few times it numbed the throat enough that I could eat. On Friday it was confirmed that I had strep throat and put on penicillin for 2 weeks.

Comment from: Yvonne, 55-64 Female Published: May 17

I found out on a Monday. I thought I had flu like symptoms and tried everything to get rid of it. A couple of days later I got worse and my daughter told me she had strep throat. We were going through the same thing. So I called the doctor and got in the same day and was told I had it. It was the worst feeling in the world. I had never experienced anything like it. I had white spot at the back of my throat, my tongue was covered with something white; I ached badly. I was light-headed with a very sore throat, and it was hard to swallow. I also had back pain, loss of appetite, and stomach pain. I couldn't eat what I wanted. I had to have yogurt or something soft or smooth to not irritate my throat. The doctor gave me some antibiotic and pain pills. Today is Saturday and I feel better. The only thing that is bothers me now is my lower back and stomach. Hopefully, in a couple of days that will be gone too.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: May 10

When I had strep throat, my symptoms included painful and difficult swallowing, severe joint pain, fever, chills, and fatigue. Ibuprofen made the pain slightly bearable. I began oral antibiotics and the symptoms began to resolve after two days of treatment.

Comment from: dcscrapping, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

About four days ago I was having a sore throat and muscle aches. I thought the aches were from my Fibro so I took some Ibuprofen. The sore throat got worse and I went to the doctor. He was on call, didn't do a test and told me I had an ear infection. I knew it was wrong but went home with antibiotics. I went back yesterday and was told I had strep. The test did come back negative because of the antibiotics I had been taking. I'm absolutely miserable with the sore throat. I can't remember a time that my throat hurt that bad.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?