Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: flawsandall, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had strep throat before as a child. I don't recall the experience being this awful. I started having splitting headaches that could not be eased. Within a few days I had fever, ear pain, stomach pain, sweating, and the worst pain I have ever experience in my throat. The other night, I went in night shift on my job and it was the worst night. I could not get my fever under control. It ran 102.5 degrees most of the night. The next day I went to my local emergency room and was diagnosed with strep throat. I was prescribed meds and let go. I am feeling a little better but the pain is still horrible.

Comment from: GOOBABY, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My sore throat lasted about three days. I noticed that drinking cool water helped. Another thing that helped quite a bit was sore throat spray. Of course, rest and plenty of fluids are your best bet!

Comment from: 2tired, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I've had strep before and it was always a horrid mess of pus and pain in my throat. This time it is different for about 8 days. I've been feeling very lethargic, stuffed nose, congestion etc. My throat started hurting then got better. I finally went to doctor for the fatigue and tested negative for strep in the office, but positive 2 days later! I'm on medications for two days now because I'm allergic to everything else. I feel horrible. I have joint pain and weakness but no throat pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

My throat became tender when swallowing on Feb. 19 and that night I woke up several times with pain when I swallowed. I went to work the next day but began to fell rough. After 4hr I had to leave because the pain was awful when I swallowed and I had a terrible headache that medication didn't help. I went to an urgent care clinic and with tears streaming down my face. The doctor looked down my throat (it hurt so bad I could hardly say "ahh") and seeing white patches, he declared it strep. I was given Penicillin for 10 days & Ibuprofen 800MG. I felt better yesterday although my throat was still tender and I still had a naggy headache. Today I feel much better though I'm still weak and tired. Strep moves quickly: I went from bad to tears in 4 hours. It was some of the worst pain I have experienced in my 48 years!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I felt bad for 2 days and nights and then I went to the doctor on the 3rd day. Got a shot at 9AM, took an oral antibiotic same night and felt a lot better the next day. I went back to work the following day! Took 4 ibuprofen , which worked the best. Feel better soon!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat and swollen, tender glands. I know I was fine the night before because I sang at choir practice. I went to work for one hour, but was feeling too weak to continue, so I left and went to the doctor. I didn't have any fever in the morning, but I did by the time I got to the doctor's office. The doctor didn't think it was strep, because there was no pus in my throat, but he did the swab anyway. Sure enough, it came back positive. He prescribed 10 days of antibiotics, fluids, OTC pain killers, and bed rest until I felt better. After I got home, I was racked with joint pain and was shaking from the chills. I hurt too much to bother taking my temperature. I lay in bed with piles of blankets, in too much pain to sleep. At some time in the afternoon I thought I was going to vomit, but I was too weak to go get a bowl. I just kept willing my stomach to stay calm. The good news is that today the shakes and joint pain are pretty much gone. I am really glad I went to the doctor as soon as I did. Another few hours and I would have been unable to drive.

Comment from: ritathomas, 55-64 Female Published: November 04

I found out I had Strep Throat after swabbing for the flu and strep, I did not have the flu. I have NEVER had strep and do not have my tonsils. I never felt so bad. I was given an antibiotic and Phenergran/Tylenol codeine and Darvocet. I hurt all over but the worst was at the bend of my legs in my groin area. I stayed in the bed four full days only getting up when I absolutely had to.

Comment from: Marion Sheridan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a 69 year-old pensioner living alone. Symptoms of strep throat began last Friday night (11 Sept). I had difficulty sleeping and my throat felt as if it was shutting down. As the night progressed it became quite painful so I began taking pain killers. Symptoms worsened throughout the following day then on the Sunday I became violently ill (vommiting). By then I couldn't swallow, and my throat was seriously painful. Struggled throughout another night and finally went to the doctor yesterday (Monday). My temperature by then was over 39 ºC (102 ºF), I couldn't swallow painkillers so was in a wretched state. I was prescribed liquid Amoxcyllin for a week followed by the same in tablet form for another week, plus Enerlyte sachets to help replace body fluids. The doctor advised Aspro Clear which is a soluble painkiller. This all seems to be working and I slept much better last night. A bit light-headed but I'm not going anywhere. Obviously my throat is still very sore but it is definitely improving.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?