Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: worst pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

WORST pain EVER! I never have experienced Strep, and never want to experience it again. Cold water helps, but the inability to swallow anything is killing me. I usually don't go to the doctor, but the pain was unbearable and when I finally went on the 2nd day of pain I was given antibiotics and Motrin 800mg. Lots of water, sleep and medication seems to be helping. I'm sure Popsicles would be great, but I don't have anyone to drive to the store to get them for me.

Comment from: jacinda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My sore throat started on a Monday and by Tuesday I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics and pain meds. It is now Saturday and the pain is worse now than it was when it first started. It has not gotten better for me at all. Throat is still super swollen and it hurts to swallow anything. Getting random fevers and headaches. So I guess it's different for everyone on how long it lasts. All I know is that strep throat is awful and it is horribly painful.

Comment from: bnuts86, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

About three weeks ago I started having really bad chills and sweating ridiculously. My skin was very hot but my core temperature seemed very low. I had a screaming headache and my eyes were very sore. This went on for about a week. Once it stopped, literally the next day, I had a severe sore throat. I looked in the mirror and I saw about 10-12 white spots on the back of my throat (basically canker sores). I was put on Amoxicillin for ten days. My throat was better in about 24 hours. A co-worker told me to change my toothbrush, change my pillow and sheets, and re-wash all of my clothes or it will come back, so I did. The day I ran out of antibiotics, the symptoms starting coming back. I obviously missed something on the sterilization process, so when they say be thorough, they mean it.

Comment from: victoria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had strep throat for 2 full weeks; I was on antibiotics 18 a day in fact for 2 weeks, so much so that one tooth actually rotted away. I felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I have since noticed that my throat is my week area, and I have to have it covered when I feel a sore throat is coming on, by covering my throat. I am able to prevent it getting sore or dry, it really works for me.

Comment from: Lnsmcrow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had recurring strep throat accompanied with a fever. I've gotten antibiotics (eurthromyacin) that clears up the infection and pain. Now it's back. It seems to be environmental because others in this area are experiencing the same symptoms.

Comment from: Snoopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 60 yr. old office worker and last Sunday, Jan 3, I started feeling a sore throat coming on. I just thought it would go away in a couple of days so ignored it until at work on Monday it became a lot worse. I opted to stay home on Tuesday and went to the Doctor to have it checked. She did a swab test and sent it off to the lab not sure if it was Strep or not. She put me on some anti-biotics and by Thursday I was in such horrible pain, my throat I could hardly swallow, the lymph nodes on the right side of my face were swollen and you could visibly see them and I even had severe pain in my right ear. I called my Dr. on Thursday and told her there was no difference so she told me to come in to see her. I did and she just then got the results of the swab test and it was positive for Strep. The doctor then put me on penicillin and it's been 24 hours now and my throat is 85% better but now I'm praying by tomorrow my neck and ear will feel better as I'm still in a lot of bad pain with them. Also I had headaches and fever. I've never felt so much pain in my life and hopefully will never come in contact with strep again!

Comment from: Magma, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have now been sick for 8 days, diagnosed with strep 3 days ago and still hurting. A friend turned me onto oregano oil and this stuff is amazing! Relieves throat pain within minutes. Doesn't get rid of the pain but defiantly helps.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?