Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I woke up Saturday and my right gland was swollen. I didn't think much about it as that's a pretty common sign for me that I'm about to get sick or my body is trying to fight off something. By two O'clock that afternoon, I started having what I thought were flu like symptoms. My head started to hurt, I was feeling nauseous to my stomach and I had a fever and chills. I took some over the counter medicine and tried to sleep it off. I woke up around 12:30 am early Sunday morning and I was so weak I could barely stand. I managed to get myself to the emergency room unaware at that time that my tonsils where completely white. I tested positive for strep in the ER and was given a form of penicillin to take for 10 days and some Motrin. Sunday night I changed my clothes three times from night sweats. Monday morning I felt like I had not made any improvement in that 24 hour period so I followed up at my regular doctor. I was still running a fever and I had this massive headache accompanied by an excruciating pain in my right ear. My doctor took me off the pills and gave me the one time shot, within the next few hours I started to feel some relief from the pressure in my head and my ear. I stayed in bed the entire day in hopes that when I woke up this morning I would somehow feel better. The pain in my throat and my ear remain. I'm not sure how long this thing has to run its course, but I sure will be glad when it's over, and surely I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Yuck. I thought it was just a virus, so I let it go for about 5 days. The throat pain was terrible and getting worse rather than better. When I went to the doctor three days ago, the rapid test came back positive for strep. She gave me penicillin and lidocaine. The lidocaine was absolutely useless; it created more pain when I swallowed it than it relieved when it took effect. One thing that did help me, though, is frozen cola drinks - slushees, icees, whatever they call them in your area. It's still very sore when I talk, but it's much better and I'm going to try to go back to work tomorrow. 8 days of pain and counting!

Comment from: PEP, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I have two children, ages 8 and 9, both have tested positive for strep. The symptoms started very differently for both of them. My 8 year old started Last Friday night with a rash, spreading from his head to his bum. We thought it was MEASLES, but then it was followed by a slight fever, chills, pains in his muscles and sore throat, stuffy nose, irritated eyes. My 9 year, old's symptoms started Monday night. He has been suffering from a near migraine headache for 2 days, sore throat so bad he can barely drink anything, won't eat, can't sleep, and has a slight fever. The doctor has tested them both and is 95% sure it's strep. They are removed from school for minimum 10 days, or until all symptoms are gone and they aren't contagious.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I began to develop a sore throat last Friday, Aug. 8th while vacationing in Germany. I could feel the tingling sensation beginning. By Monday (3 days later), the pain had intensified to the pain a bad sore throat usually brings, so that was nothing new to me just some pain. On Tuesday Aug 12th, I left the city I was in to go to Hamburg and upon arrival I could tell this was much more than a bad sore throat. The pain was getting to the point of something I never had experienced. The symptoms all pointed to strep. I consumed lots and lots of tea with honey and lemon to help which did a bit. Avoid chocolate or acidic drinks. Even that still hurts and now its August 17th. I went to seek medical attention (August 15th), a week after everything started, and was prescribed Amoxicillin to remove the bacteria (1 week dosage) as well as strong lozenges to soothe. Everything is about 50% better now and it is exactly 9 days later since it all started. I'm sure by Friday my throat should be back to 100% meaning 2 weeks from start to finish. Never had strep. Never want it again. Self-diagnosis is easy: You don't have a runny nose or cough yet you experience intense pain in the throat, intense pain when swallowing even own saliva, a bit of fever. The doctor could also do a blood test and within ten minutes check the bacteria levels in your blood rather than a strep test which can take a day to receive results.

Comment from: ciscomann, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

It started a week ago, not really a sore throat, more just a swollen gland on the right side. I was already taking pain killers for another illness, otherwise I would assume the pain would have been much worse. Yesterday, I woke up unable to speak without pain. I could definitely tell when the painkillers wore off, the gland pain had now moved to the left gland, and it was much more swollen, almost completely shut. My doctor could not see me until Wednesday night, so I went to a walk-in clinic. They were pretty good. They did a strep test right there with 90% accuracy for strep. They also sent in a throat culture. I won't get the results back for a few days, but I know I've never had throat pain like this before. They started me on 500 mg of penicillin four times a day for 10 days. Hopefully the pain goes away soon. Luckily, I have no other symptoms or fever.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?