Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: chocolate&tea, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

On Sunday morning I suddenly felt very ill, almost fainted while I was taking my little one out for a walk. I came home and I had chills and 39.5 degrees fever. I thought it was just a bad cold or flu because now it is the flu season. I started taking paracetamol 500 mg. On Monday morning I woke up with the worst throat pain, the back of my throat was covered with white spots. I was very lucky that I got an appointment the same day, diagnosed with strep throat, and was given phenoxymethylpenicillin 250 mg, 2 tablets 4 times a day. I kept taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain and fever, Strepsils, tea, and salt water. I am so desperate that I am eating honey, garlic, and cayenne pepper mix. Today is Wednesday I no longer have chills or fever but everything else still there, I hope that my little one will not get this, strep throat is evil.

Comment from: JamesCA, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

This is my first time having strep throat and it is horrible. I'm on day 4 now and the throat pain is excruciating. I usually do not take over the counter medication but I can't take the pain anymore. I have been taking the following to reduce the pain; Halls drops (3 at a time), Chloraseptic spray, gargle apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and honey mix, Motrin/Tylenol and I try to eat non-solid foods. I went to the doctor and got amoxicillin antibiotics but I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works. This is something I definitely want to avoid!

Comment from: vermonter802, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I started feeling ill two days ago, and went to the doctor yesterday with a sore throat, fever, severe headache, stiff muscles and extreme fatigue. Strep test came back positive and I was put on antibiotics for 10 days and was told to get Benadryl and Maalox, put 1/2 a teaspoon of each in medicine cup and gurgle and swallow 4x per day. It all seems to be helping my throat, but my headache has been constant and severe worsened by any type of movement.

Comment from: ithurts, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I got the first symptom of strep throat on Sunday evening, and it was mild on Monday. Main issues were swallowing food or even saliva and slight fever around 100 and body ache. On Tuesday morning everything got worse and unbearable, I had difficulty speaking, and the saliva got thicker with white discharge. Even to spit out to collect the saliva from the mouth was extremely painful, let alone swallowing. I would feel like the saliva would always get stuck on the throat and never go in. And I also got very tender lymph nodes. Everything was happening only on the right side. When I went to the doctor on Tuesday, looking at the severity, he diagnosed me with strep throat. He gave me antibiotic cefdinir 300 mg for a 10 day course. Now today is Monday, 7th day since I started taking antibiotic, nothing changed. In fact painful regions by 5th day of symptoms (3rd day of antibiotic) increased, like severe ear ache (right side), and muscle and toothache (right side). I have to be on ibuprofen round the clock to bear the earache, throat pain, etc. I am not sure why it is taking so long.

Comment from: Melissa in Canada, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I woke up Saturday middle of the night feeling that tell-tale tickle in my throat that I might be getting a cold. By Sunday morning my throat was a little sore and my skin all over my back, hips and arms was very sensitive to touch. By late morning that same day I was so weak I could barely walk and was bundled up on the coach with chills, headache, and very sore throat. Monday I could barely get out of bed all day. Very sore throat, extremely sensitive skin, weak muscles and joint pain, very swollen neck glands, chills and sweats. I sweated all Monday night. Tuesday morning I had a look at my tonsils and knew I needed antibiotics - white goo everywhere. My doctor couldn't see me but the nurse did a rapid strep test, which she said was very positive. After taking one look at me the doctor suddenly had room to squeeze me in. So happy I didn't have to wait in an emergency room. I'm on penicillin and ibuprofen for the pain. It's now my second day of antibiotics and I feel a bit better but throat still hurts and I am sweating like crazy. I have ringing in my ears and vivid dreams preventing good sleep. Ice cream sounds appealing, but I know the sugar is the worst thing for my immune system right now so I am eating soups, tea, and cold fruit and yogurt smoothies.

Comment from: Patty M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had extremely sore throat, white pustules and white slimy streaks on tonsil, and pain in my left ear. So off I went to my doctor. I've had thrush often from inhalers; so that's what I thought I had. I was surprised when I was told it was probably strep throat. Rapid culture came back negative. Culture was sent to another lab. I had to wait at home another 5 days for culture to grow, and to get results. That one came back positive for strep throat. I have been on amoxicillin for 6 days with no relief. I called my doctor who said it can take up to 2 weeks to get relief from strep! I was told to gargle with warm salt water.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?