Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?

I was given an injection of antibiotics and a five-day course of Azithromycin tablets.

Comment from: TKT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been taking 500 mgs of Amoxicillin three times a day for 10 days. I'm on my third pill and starting to feel better already :)

Comment from: ClevelandGAL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I received Amoxicillin 875mg twice a day for 10 days and I felt 100% better after 24 hours on the medication.

Comment from: mybodyhatesme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Strep throat sucks. I am 35 and have never had strep before. This is very painful. I was at work in the morning and by the early evening my sore throat had progressed so much that I was nearly crying. Went to the doctor a day later, assuming I had strep, he gave me a culture test, positive for strep, he gave me a script for penicillin.

A one-time injection of Bicillin was an effective treatment for my strep throat.

Comment from: rashard98, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My son has strep throat and was put on amoxicillin 875 mg twice a day.

Comment from: ihategerms, 25-34 Female Published: August 19

Never experience anything like this before! What the doctor prescribed for me is azithromycin. It's for 5 days but keeps working 6-10 days afterwards. Just want to get better. I don't have my tonsils anymore so, it's definitely been a experience I don't want to go through EVER again!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was put on amoxicillin and I was told to take Tylenol to help reduce the swelling so I could eat and drink.

Comment from: Ssutton, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I took Amoxicillin for 10 days, and it came back one week after I finished it. Then I was on a Z-pak and that didn't take my symptoms away. Then they put me on Augmentin. I hope it does it this time. I've been battling this for a month.

Penicillin VK 500mg Tabs. 1 Tab four times daily for 10 days (every six hours). Four Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen 5-500 AKA Vicodin, 1 to 2 tabs every six hours as needed.

Comment from: Leilani, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I was given a 10 day amoxicillin, after 3 days I was not feeling any better, so I decided to double the amount prescribed,(it was over the weekend) I am on the 5th day, the pain is not as intense but I don't feel that I am cured yet, my throat is still tender to touch. Waiting to hear from my doctor about the possibility of getting another type of medication.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?