Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?

Published: April 17

Yesterday, my doctor gave me a steroid shot and a 10-day course of amoxicillin. I am feeling a little better, but not 100%. This is by far the worst sore throat ever.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I'm 60 years old and this is the first time I've had strep throat. The doctor gave a big old needle of penicillin, plus 500mg three times a day of the same for 10 days.

Comment from: mick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I went to see my doctor after an entire night of suffering a severe headache and sore throat, unbelievable body aches, and a fever of 101. She gave me Amoxicillin XR 1000/62.5mg tablets (horse pills) and Ibuprofen 800mg tablets. I started feeling better two days later.

Comment from: cassin23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I went to the clinic 2 days after the symptoms started and the Doctor prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg as the antibiotic (as well as 1 Tylenol and 3 Advil every 4-6 hours) and an oral rinse to take the pain away. Both have worked perfectly.

Comment from: Miranda, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have strep throat right now and I was given penicillin.

Comment from: forever, Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had received penicillin for my strep throat. In about less than one day I had felt much better!

I was given an injection of antibiotics and a five-day course of Azithromycin tablets.

Comment from: TKT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been taking 500 mgs of Amoxicillin three times a day for 10 days. I'm on my third pill and starting to feel better already :)

Comment from: ClevelandGAL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I received Amoxicillin 875mg twice a day for 10 days and I felt 100% better after 24 hours on the medication.

Comment from: mybodyhatesme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Strep throat sucks. I am 35 and have never had strep before. This is very painful. I was at work in the morning and by the early evening my sore throat had progressed so much that I was nearly crying. Went to the doctor a day later, assuming I had strep, he gave me a culture test, positive for strep, he gave me a script for penicillin.

A one-time injection of Bicillin was an effective treatment for my strep throat.

Comment from: rashard98, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My son has strep throat and was put on amoxicillin 875 mg twice a day.

Comment from: ihategerms, 25-34 Female Published: August 19

Never experience anything like this before! What the doctor prescribed for me is azithromycin. It's for 5 days but keeps working 6-10 days afterwards. Just want to get better. I don't have my tonsils anymore so, it's definitely been a experience I don't want to go through EVER again!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was put on amoxicillin and I was told to take Tylenol to help reduce the swelling so I could eat and drink.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Tell us your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?