Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?

Comment from: tphill7853, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

My Dr. told me that there is nothing he can really give me for the Strep Throat; however, I must take an antibiotic so it does not affect my kidney or my liver. He said I should also take something over the counter for the discomfort (Advil, Tylenol or something). I'm taking Azithromycin for antibiotic and Advil for the discomfort. Apparently, Strep Throat must take its course. I take Advil and then I drink lots of water and eat. Without something to soothe the pain I would dehydrate from not drinking. I caught this from utensils in a public place. I wish it were different but it is what it is.

Comment from: loridee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was given a 10 day dose of penicillin and told to throw out the toothbrush as to not have recurring episodes. I was also told to wash the bedding in hot water to get rid of any of the germs after the first 24 hours were up.

Comment from: nurse ss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This is seriously the worst sore throat I have ever had. The right side of my face, my ear and throat are on fire! I went to ER in pain. The doctor gave me Omnicef.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I received the three day dose of Azithromycin. I don't know if it is working yet, I still feel a pain like knives or razor blades in the back of my throat when I swallow water. Also, my nose is red and dry even though it is BARELY running. It is very sore.

Comment from: Mommyof3boys., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was given antibiotics and ibuprofen for pain. I was also given a mask to wear around my little children.

Comment from: Rah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was prescribed 3x500mg of Amoxicillin once a day.

Published: April 17

Yesterday, my doctor gave me a steroid shot and a 10-day course of amoxicillin. I am feeling a little better, but not 100%. This is by far the worst sore throat ever.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I'm 60 years old and this is the first time I've had strep throat. The doctor gave a big old needle of penicillin, plus 500mg three times a day of the same for 10 days.

Comment from: mick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I went to see my doctor after an entire night of suffering a severe headache and sore throat, unbelievable body aches, and a fever of 101. She gave me Amoxicillin XR 1000/62.5mg tablets (horse pills) and Ibuprofen 800mg tablets. I started feeling better two days later.

Comment from: cassin23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I went to the clinic 2 days after the symptoms started and the Doctor prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg as the antibiotic (as well as 1 Tylenol and 3 Advil every 4-6 hours) and an oral rinse to take the pain away. Both have worked perfectly.

Comment from: Miranda, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have strep throat right now and I was given penicillin.

Comment from: forever, Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had received penicillin for my strep throat. In about less than one day I had felt much better!

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis is either viral or bacterial. Tonsillitis is contagious....learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?