Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?

Comment from: Christie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have just been diagnosed with strep throat. This is my 2nd time in years. It is certainly the worst feeling ever. My throat felt as if it was on fire and my ears hurt and I had a fever. I had to go to the emergency room at 5:30 am. They gave me Keflex and advised not to go to work, to take ibuprofen, drink lots of fluids and rest. It was so painful to swallow I wanted to cry every time I tried

Comment from: sickofstrep, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with strep about a week ago, I had horrible pain and swelling in my neck. I received 500 mg amoxicillin for a ten day treatment which seemed to do the trick but my tonsils were still red and swollen after the treatment finished. Now, three days later, I have strep again but it came back much quicker and is just as painful. Today I received a penicillin shot in my hip (ouch), prednisone steroid for swelling, as well as codeine and Robitussin to help with pain and trouble sleeping. Here's hoping this does the trick.

Comment from: tphill7853, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

My Dr. told me that there is nothing he can really give me for the Strep Throat; however, I must take an antibiotic so it does not affect my kidney or my liver. He said I should also take something over the counter for the discomfort (Advil, Tylenol or something). I'm taking Azithromycin for antibiotic and Advil for the discomfort. Apparently, Strep Throat must take its course. I take Advil and then I drink lots of water and eat. Without something to soothe the pain I would dehydrate from not drinking. I caught this from utensils in a public place. I wish it were different but it is what it is.

Comment from: emma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I went to the doctor and was given penicillin twice daily and also paracetamol and ibuprofen. I've has strep many times before, but this is definitely the worst I've had it!

Comment from: txgirl25, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

I'm taking amoxicillin, 500 mg. I hope it's effective. I'm in such pain i wanted to cry. Since Monday I have been with a sore throat. I also have earache and difficulty swallowing. Also, my son has had strep throat for a month.

Comment from: loridee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was given a 10 day dose of penicillin and told to throw out the toothbrush as to not have recurring episodes. I was also told to wash the bedding in hot water to get rid of any of the germs after the first 24 hours were up.

Comment from: nurse ss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This is seriously the worst sore throat I have ever had. The right side of my face, my ear and throat are on fire! I went to ER in pain. The doctor gave me Omnicef.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I received the three day dose of Azithromycin. I don't know if it is working yet, I still feel a pain like knives or razor blades in the back of my throat when I swallow water. Also, my nose is red and dry even though it is BARELY running. It is very sore.

Comment from: Mommyof3boys., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was given antibiotics and ibuprofen for pain. I was also given a mask to wear around my little children.

Comment from: Rah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was prescribed 3x500mg of Amoxicillin once a day.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>
Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat, which results in a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Tell us your experience with strep throat.

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?