Viewer Comments: Stroke - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Symptoms

For stroke, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: dorothy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 16

While in the doctor's office, the nurse was taking my blood pressure and said, “She is having a stroke.” I was immediately sent for a scan. There were no defects, and today I'm fine.

Comment from: irmy, 65-74 Female Published: June 29

I was just getting out of the tub and felt my arm getting numb, then my leg, so I phoned my daughter and she said call the ambulance, which I did. Then I went to get my neighbor and by that time my speech was all slurred. After a few minutes it came back, then after a few minutes it went slurred again. They took me to the ER at about 10:30 a.m. and I finally got to see a doctor at 7.30p.m. My speech was slurred all day. This hospital cleared me and said I am okay. I am ashamed to mention this hospital to anyone because they do not care for their patients.

Comment from: Patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had completed a 6 mile walk with my wife. I was sitting outside when suddenly I felt faint and my right arm and leg went numb. I was able to move them but I felt as though I didn't have complete control of them. I got my wife to call an ambulance. On arrival at ER they did a ct scan which was clear. I am still in hospital seven days later. A Doppler scan of my carotids showed a 70-80 % blockage of my left carotid. I am now waiting on an MRI to establish if this was the cause of the stroke. I recovered full use of my right side 36 hours after the episode.

Comment from: AmberStevens, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I went to bed that night and woke up the next morning feeling drained. I was "scatter brained" and kept getting confused. My fianc© asked me if I were ok and I told him I just felt like I didn't get enough sleep. No slurring or drooping that I noticed. I had what I thought was a migraine come on at work that day but I only had a 4hr shift so I just waited it out. When my fianc© came home from work I was on the couch with all the shades down and all the lights off. Still I was me other than the migraine. A few days went by and I noticed that I would be talking and all of a sudden the word I was trying to say would not come out of my mouth. I could see it in my mind, hear it in my mind, but it would absolutely not come out of my mouth. My fianc©, friends, and neighbors noticed it as well. After a few visits to the ER and being treated for migraines, I finally went to a doctor. He told him what was going on, he took blood and vitals, and came back 10mins later to tell me I had probably had a mild stroke due to high BP and diabetes (pre-existing). Of course I was freaked out, how does a 30 year-old woman have a stroke? Come to find out, the ER had put in my files that I had high BP for a previous sprain I had, but seen it as being caused by my sprained ankle pain, then the migraines, as the same. This doctor done nothing, not even an x-ray, just drew blood. Well a month or so passed and dizziness and strange feelings of dang near passing out kept happening and I was on medication. My mom suggested I see her doctor so I did, they done all the proper tests and it proved the other doctor made a lucky guess. Now I am being properly treated and my speech is doing a little better, sometimes I say things backwards or opposite even though it came out sounding right to me, I do immediately notice it and correct myself though. Like I'll say, Open the door, when I really meant to say to close it.

Comment from: Craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My stroke (vertebral artery dissection) occurred during my sleep. I woke up at 2 A.M. to get my 2yr. old a bottle and was fine. I awoke again at 5 A.M. and laid there for a couple of hours. My ears were ringing and I could tell that something was wrong. I barely made it down the hallway my balance was so bad! I had to have my 10 year old son dial my wife's work. Luckily, I had someone to watch the kids and off to the hospital I went. I spent about a month in the hospital, had home care for about 2 months and have spent the last 7 months getting better. Every day gets better and so far I've no recurrence of stroke. I've had to change my diet and exercise regularly. I've lost about 35lbs!

Comment from: wellness advisor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I just witnessed someone having a stroke right in front of me. You mostly think that a stroke is something that happens quickly, but it was a slow transition and a build-up. I also realized that nosebleeds can be a sign of trouble. The patient said she never in her life had nosebleeds and has been having the constantly now. The ER sent her home after she experience a really bad nose bleed and now, within 12 hours of her return home, she just had a major stroke.

Comment from: MargiB, 75 or over Female Published: September 13

I used to have migraine headaches and since they stopped over 15 years ago I have been dizzy. I have been too many doctors over the years and none have come up with a solution. I can't drive anymore, afraid to walk outside, even wake up at night dizzy. My family and I continue to try to figure out why I am dizzy and how to fix it. We now wonder if a mini stroke was a possible cause. If there is any test or treatment I can try.

Must Read Articles Related to Stroke

Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic Exercise Aerobic exercise is moderate physical activity that's sustained for a few minutes with the goal of improving health. Walking, biking, swimming, dancing, and jog...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Prognosis and Recovery

Please describe your stroke recovery.

Stroke - Treatment

What was the treatment for your stroke?

Stroke - Prevention

What are you doing to prevent stroke?