Viewer Comments: Stroke - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Symptoms

For stroke, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: David Evans, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 08

I suffered a mild stroke in April of this year. I was having my lunch and feeling quite normal when all of a sudden I felt light headed as if I was going to faint. My eyesight went crazy and I couldn't focus I thought I was going blind. My wife took me to hospital straight away and I was admitted for further tests. I had every test imaginable including MRI, ultrasound, heart monitoring (24hrs)blood pressure and temperature taken twice a day and of course regular medication for control of blood pressure and cholesterol. During my time in hospital, 11 days, my eyesight settled down and I was able to focus again apart from losing peripheral vision in my left eye. I have completely changed my eating habits now, I take my prescribed medication and I regularly do light exercise including walking cycling and swimming. Oh, and I have finally given up smoking. I have just turned 61 years old and consider myself extremely lucky that it wasn't worse considering my life, pre-stroke, was all but healthy. I am having regular checkups and have more tests to follow as doctors are trying to determine the origin of the stroke which may have emanated from the aorta as it is slightly enlarged particularly. I still get regular dizzy spells if, for instance, I stand too quickly from a lying down position.

Comment from: pocket, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I was at work one day and my leg kept giving way all the time, so I went to see my doctor and all he said was rest. It but I thought it was more serious than that. So I went home I told my mum and she took me to hospital but they didn't scan me straight away because it was the weekend they said that they don't scan on weekends unless it was an emergency then a couple of hours had a stroke, actually two.

Must Read Articles Related to Stroke

Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic Exercise Aerobic exercise is moderate physical activity that's sustained for a few minutes with the goal of improving health. Walking, biking, swimming, dancing, and jog...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Treatment

What was the treatment for your stroke?

Stroke - Prevention

What are you doing to prevent stroke?

Stroke - Prognosis and Recovery

Please describe your stroke recovery.