Viewer Comments: Stroke - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Symptoms

For stroke, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Stanels, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a lacunar stroke in the pons area of the brain stem. It affected my balance plus many other things. When I had the stroke on Feb. 8, 2007, it felt like a couple of small firecrackers had gone off in my head. I noticed that my balance was affected immediately. I could still walk and function, but it was like I was drunk. I drove myself to the ER (not recommended) where they did a CT scan. Nothing showed up. After a while, they sent me home. Five days later, I went to my regular physician who ordered an MRI. The stroke showed up on the MRI. Thankfully, it was small. I still suffer from symptoms even though I have had four months of physical therapy (PT). I have some numbness in my left arm and a little drooping on the left side of my mouth. Occasionally, I have what my husband and I call “spells.” I have a tingling around my scalp. The doctor said it was caused by high blood pressure even though I was on medication. I was put on Plavix and Zocor. Since the stroke, I've had another TIA where my blood pressure spiked to 223/122. I had to go to the ER for an IV to bring it down. I had some of the same symptoms as with the stroke, but they did go away. My dad had several strokes, one of which was severe. I must have inherited some of his tendency for strokes.

Comment from: Jenmlj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was 25 weeks pregnant with my son. I woke up with numbness and weakness on my left side. I had a droopy mouth and eye. I went to the emergency room. They needed to make sure I could have an MRI because of the pregnancy, so they sent me home in the meantime. After me calling for two days, they said to come in for an MRI. I had the MRI, and they found the clot. I spent the next eight weeks in the hospital. I went home on Heparin until my son was born and then switched to warfarin. I was taken off the thinners since it was thought I had the stroke from getting CMV while pregnant. Eight months later, I was at work when I started dropping everything. My numbness had also been extreme that day, so I went to the emergency room where I was given a baby asprin and sent to the city with a driver. Upon arrival, I had an MRI and discovered a second clot. Through testing, they figured out I'm protein C deficient. I'm on warfarin for life now. Here's the kicker: I was 26 and 28 respectively when I had my strokes. My memory and speech are warped. I'm so tired of the tingles.

Comment from: peter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been in the building trade for 35 years, drank alcohol fairly regularly and smoked 20 cigarettes a day. I had to get up early one morning and nothing seemed wrong until half way to work. Then I got physically sick and just about got home. I could not raise my head up, had to lay down for about two weeks. I was diagnosed with vertigo (blurred vision and I was falling over from lack of balance and nausea all the time). After two weeks I was able to walk around a little bit and at about 9 o'clock at night I made myself comfortable in bed and went to sleep. The wife woke me at about 8 o'clock the next morning and I spoke to her in a drunken voice then I think that there was something wrong and she got me to hospital. I had had a small stroke in my sleep and it could have happened any time of the night. That was 4 years ago and I still have difficulty doing things on my own, walking and hitting a nail with a hammer is the most difficult of things to do as well as writing and the doctors told me it was a small stroke.

Comment from: JA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I experienced my first stroke in February 1997 while at work, it presented by the left side of my face going numb and I was dropping things. I drove home (not good) and went to the hospital. I was very surprised that it was a stroke! I started with Coumadin since a blood clot was the only reason I was given since I don't have any risk factors. Never smoked, I was just 41, no birth control, low blood pressure. 6 months later I had another, (also at work) this symptom was just my tongue going numb for a couple minutes, then I had another on December 31st (at work)this time I was counting inventory and it was complete confusion!! One of my employees called for help! I was sure when I got to the hospital they would think I had been celebrating the New Year! Then I have been trouble free for two years, until March this year when I had two back to back. My pt/inr has not been stable so now I lab test (at least weekly was daily) and adjust my dosage to stay between 2-2.5! So 5 strokes and not yet 45! Residual effects yes, mostly cognition and decision making but thankful to still be here!

Comment from: glen, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My wife had a seizure as a result of a stroke.

Comment from: Lobster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

What occurred to me was the room started to spin then I had double vision with feeling nauseous. My right arm and leg went up and down on their own, involuntarily . Then I vomited. Speech was slurred.

Must Read Articles Related to Stroke

Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic Exercise Aerobic exercise is moderate physical activity that's sustained for a few minutes with the goal of improving health. Walking, biking, swimming, dancing, and jog...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stroke:

Stroke - Treatment

What was the treatment for your stroke?

Stroke - Prevention

What are you doing to prevent stroke?

Stroke - Prognosis and Recovery

Please describe your stroke recovery.