Font Size

Stuttering: Speech-Language Pathologist

Topic Overview

A speech-language pathologist, also called a speech therapist, helps improve the speech of a child with mild or severe stuttering by using either indirect or direct treatment. Indirect treatment focuses upon evaluating the child and counseling parents. Direct treatment techniques include helping parents and other family members communicate more effectively, helping the child overcome emotional difficulties associated with stuttering, and teaching the child ways to improve speech. The speech-language pathologist closely monitors the child's progress regardless of which treatment is used.

A speech-language pathologist should have:1

  • Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, which requires:
    • A master's degree from an accredited university.
    • Successful completion of a national exam.
    • A 1-year supervised internship.
  • State license where he or she practices.
  • Experience in treating stuttering.

Related Information



  1. Guitar B, Conture EG (2007). The Child Who Stutters: To the Pediatrician, revised 4th ed. (Publication No. 23). Memphis: Stuttering Foundation of America. Also available online:


ByHealthwise Staff
Primary Medical ReviewerSusan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Specialist Medical ReviewerRobert M. Kroll, BsC, MSc, PhD - Speech Pathology
Last RevisedAugust 13, 2010

eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

To learn more visit

© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.

Medical Dictionary